Basic question on fourier coefficients

In summary, the nth Fourier coefficients of f(x) are bounded by c*(pi/n)^a, where c and a are positive constants, because of the periodicity of f(x) and the inequality |f(x)-f(y)| <= c*|x-y|^a. This is shown through an analysis of the "sine" coefficients, but the argument for the "cosine" coefficients is the same.
neginf
If f(x) has a period of 2*pi and |f(x)-f(y)| <= c*|x-y|^a where a and c are positive constants, why are are n-th Fourier coefficients <= c*(pi/n)^a ?

Help or hints would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I made a stab at this, but ended up with a slightly looser bound. But perhaps it will still be of some use. Here I just do the "sine" coeffs; the argument for cos is essentially the same.
[tex]
\left| b_n \right| \leq \frac{1}{\pi} \int_0^{2 \pi}\,dx\,|f(x)| |sin(nx)|=\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{m=1}^{n} \int_{(m-1)2\pi/n}^{m2\pi/n}\,dx\,|f(x)|\,|sin(nx)|
=\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{m=1}^{n} \int_{(m-1)2\pi/n}^{(m-1/2)2\pi/n}\,dx\,|f(x)|\,sin(nx) - \int_{(m-1/2)2\pi/n}^{m2\pi/n}\,dx\,|f(x)|\,sin(nx).
[/tex]
Now if [itex] |f(x_m^{-})|[/itex] is an upper bound of [itex]|f|[/itex] on [itex] [(m-1)2\pi/n, (m-1/2)2\pi/n][/itex], and [itex]|f(x_m^{+})|[/itex] is an upper bound of [itex]|f|[/itex] on [itex] [(m-1/2)2\pi/n, m2\pi/n][/itex], then
[tex]
\int_{(m-1)2\pi/n}^{(m-1/2)2\pi/n}\,dx\,|f(x)|\,sin(nx)
\leq |f(x_m^{-})| \int_{(m-1)2\pi/n}^{(m-1/2)2\pi/n}\,dx \, sin(nx)
= \frac{2}{n} |f(x_m^{-})|,
[/tex]
and similarly for the other integral. Hence I get
[tex]
|b_n| \leq \frac{2}{n\pi} \sum_{m=1}^{n} |f(x_m^{-})|-|f(x_m^{+})|
\leq
\frac{2}{n\pi} \sum_{m=1}^{n} |f(x_m^{-})-f(x_m^{+})|
\leq
\frac{2}{n\pi} \sum_{m=1}^{n} c |x_m^{-}-x_m^{+}|^a.
[/tex]
Now, from the way I defined [itex]x_m^{-}[/itex] and [itex]x_m^{-}[/itex], it must be true that [itex]|x_m^{-}-x_m^{+}| \leq 2\pi/n[/itex]. So I get
[tex]
|b_n| \leq \frac{2c}{n\pi}\sum_{m=1}^{n} \left( \frac{2\pi}{n}\right)^a
= \frac{2c}{\pi}\left( \frac{2\pi}{n}\right)^a
\leq c \left( \frac{2\pi}{n}\right)^a.
[/tex]

So I have an extra [itex]2^a[/itex]. Perhaps you can see a better way!

cheers,

jason

Last edited:

Related to Basic question on fourier coefficients

What are Fourier coefficients?

Fourier coefficients are numerical values that represent the contribution of each frequency component in a given signal. They are used in Fourier analysis to decompose a complex signal into simpler sinusoidal components.

How are Fourier coefficients calculated?

Fourier coefficients are calculated using a mathematical formula called the Fourier transform. This formula converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, allowing for the calculation of the amplitude and phase of each frequency component.

What is the significance of Fourier coefficients in signal processing?

Fourier coefficients are essential in signal processing as they provide a way to analyze and understand complex signals. They can be used to filter out unwanted frequencies, extract specific information from a signal, and reconstruct a signal from its frequency components.

What is the difference between Fourier series and Fourier transform?

Fourier series and Fourier transform are both methods of decomposing a signal into its frequency components. The main difference is that Fourier series is used for signals with a periodic nature, while Fourier transform is used for non-periodic signals.

How can Fourier coefficients be applied in real-world applications?

Fourier coefficients have numerous applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are used in image and sound processing, data compression, and solving differential equations, among others.