Basic Question About Quantum Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum theory and how it suggests that all matter can exist as both a wave and a particle. It also mentions the role of consciousness in the collapse of a wave into a particle when observed. The conversation also touches on the idea that the reality we perceive may be a computation and that all possibilities already exist. However, the theory itself is based on predictions and experimental outcomes rather than suggestions.
Thecraziest
I want to preface this by stating that I have only a rudimentary knowledge of this subject. I've only began reading about quantum physics casually and on my own time. With that being said. Here's what I don't fully understand.
...Quantum theory suggests that all matter can exist as either a wave of spread out energy or as a discrete particle located in space and time. Furthermore, consciousness seems to play a decisive role in the transition from a wave of spread out energy to its collapse into a discrete particle located in time and space. For instance, an electron around the nucleus exists as a wave of probability until it is observed, whereby the numerous possibilities collapse and the electron is concentrated in a particular spot for everyone to see...

Is the above quote actually stating that matter only exists when it is being observed? If so, I have a hard time grasping that.

Physics news on Phys.org
No. It says that the nature of the things you want to study depends on what kind of properties you want to analyse.

In the realm of elementary particles (but sometimes also of molecules) everything has a dual nature: both particlelike and wavelike. It is the kind of experiment that decides what kind of properties will be shown.

For example, talking of light, you can see it as a wave in all the phenomena involving interference and diffraction - and that's the characteristic behaviour of waves - but in some other experiments - like Compton scattering and the photoelectric effect - the only way to describe effectively light is thinking of it as a particle (the photon).

It is the same for the electrons.

Actually the quote says something more: it says that the effect of observing a system can (and will) affect your measurement. In fact, before the measurement, the electron is described as a wave (a wave of probability), while just after the measurement the electron collapses into a particle, meaning that you can "localize" it with a certain grade of precision.

One other interpretation is that what we perceive as reality is actually a computation. As such only the bit of the universe we are actually engaged with is fully computed at any given time. The rest of the universe exists in a pluripotent wave of possibilites which can collapse to anyone of an infinite number of possible realities when needed.

Also, note that the quote says "Quantum theory suggests..." That's not necessarily a good way to start out talking about quantum theory. The theory itself doesn't suggest anything, what it does is make predictions about what will happen in certain idealized conditions, which can then be checked with experiment under similar conditions, and these predictions work astoundingly well when suitably idealized conditions are obtainable. That's it, that's the end of the theory of quantum mechanics. It's best to learn what those predictions are, and even more importantly, what the experiments that they are intended to predict are, before you worry about what all that "suggests." The problem with "suggestions" is that they are not unique-- two people who both can apply quantum theory, and both can agree on the experimental outcomes, may still disagree on just what the theory is suggesting about those outcomes.

Thanks.

I knew that I was misunderstanding the quote. It just seemed to read that way to me for some reason.

Would it be something like the way that water can exist in different states? It's just that the electron changes states based on observation?

DrZforLife said:
One other interpretation is that what we perceive as reality is actually a computation. As such only the bit of the universe we are actually engaged with is fully computed at any given time. The rest of the universe exists in a pluripotent wave of possibilites which can collapse to anyone of an infinite number of possible realities when needed.

So all possibilities already exist even before we "choose" them?

Related to Basic Question About Quantum Theory

1. What is quantum theory and what does it explain?

Quantum theory is a branch of physics that explains the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains how these particles interact with each other and the forces that govern their behavior.

2. What are the basic principles of quantum theory?

The basic principles of quantum theory include superposition, where particles can exist in multiple states at once, and entanglement, where particles can be connected and affect each other's behavior even at a distance.

3. How does quantum theory differ from classical physics?

Quantum theory differs from classical physics in that it takes into account the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, whereas classical physics only applies to larger objects. Quantum theory also involves probabilities and uncertainties, while classical physics relies on determinism.

4. What are some real-world applications of quantum theory?

Quantum theory has led to advancements in technology such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It also plays a crucial role in fields like cryptography and quantum computing.

5. What are some common misconceptions about quantum theory?

One common misconception is that quantum theory can be easily understood and applied to daily life. In reality, it is a complex and abstract theory that requires advanced mathematics to fully comprehend. Another misconception is that it can explain and support paranormal phenomena, which has not been scientifically proven.