Basic question about Laplace and signals properties

In summary, the conversation involves finding the temporal response equation for a butterworth high-pass filter and using that result to find the output equation for a constant signal. The speaker is having trouble with the transition from 1V to 0V and is unsure how to use the equation with u(t) = 1 and u(t) = 0. They later figure out that they can use the superposition principle to generate a pulse in the first 0.0005 seconds.
tamtam402
Hey guys, I have a butterworth high-pass filter, and I was asked to find it's temporal response equation to the u(t) function. That part was easy, using basic Laplace tables I was able to find the following equation:
y(t)=√2 e^(-31100t) *cos⁡(31000t+π/4)u(t)
However, I'm supposed to be able to use that result to find the output equation (in the time domain) for a constant signal of magnitude 1V from 0 to 0.5ms, and 0V from 0.5 to 1ms. I'm at a loss here, because when using simulink (in Matlab) to simulate the response, I see that the output "responds" to the 1V to 0V transition. That means I can't simply use my equation with u(t) = 1 for t = 0 to 0.5ms, and u(t) = 0 for t = 0.5 to 1ms. What am I supposed to do?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would help you, but I'm signed up to take my first signals class next quarter!

Sorry!

Doesn't time domain mean just convert it from phasors to regular coordinates? but you already have it in terms of t so yah I wouldn't be able to help you yet :|

Ok I found out how to solve the problem. Using the superposition principle, substract 2 step functions to generate a pulse only for the first 0.0005 seconds. Do the same thing on the output.

Related to Basic question about Laplace and signals properties

What is Laplace transform and how is it used in signal processing?

Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is used in signal processing to analyze and solve differential equations and to understand the behavior of signals in the frequency domain.

What are the properties of Laplace transform?

The properties of Laplace transform include linearity, time-shifting, scaling, and differentiation/integration in the time domain. In the frequency domain, the properties include time-shifting, scaling, and differentiation/integration.

How is Laplace transform related to Fourier transform?

Laplace transform and Fourier transform are closely related. While Fourier transform is used for functions defined on the entire real line, Laplace transform is used for functions defined on the positive real line. Additionally, Laplace transform can be seen as a generalization of Fourier transform, as it can handle more complex signals.

What are some applications of Laplace transform in engineering?

Laplace transform has various applications in engineering, including control systems, circuit analysis, and signal processing. It is also used in the field of telecommunications, specifically in the analysis of communication systems and signals.

What are some limitations of Laplace transform?

Laplace transform has some limitations, such as the inability to handle non-causal signals and discontinuous signals. It also assumes that the signal is defined on the entire positive real line, which may not always be the case. Additionally, Laplace transform can be computationally intensive for certain types of signals.