Basic: Properties of ln & Exponents

In summary: So, to solve for i in (a), you would do: 5x2+10x-3=0 and then use r to solve for x. Similarly, for (b), you would use: (1+i)^y=3 and then use r to solve for y.
NonAbelian

Homework Statement

I'm taking a math of investment and credit course, in this case, solving for i which is the interest rate.

My question is: is it possible to "ln both sides" of an equation? Like in (b) below, I know I could say y*ln(1+i) = ln(3).

Homework Equations

(a) 5(1+i)^8 + 10(1+i)^4 = 3
(b) (1+i)^y = 3

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already solved the actual question (a) by making the substitution x=(1+i)^4 and solving via quadratic equation. What I'm looking for is a more general method for solving these sort of questions.

Something like "lning both sides":
40ln(1+i) + 40ln(1+i) = ln3

ln(ab) = ln(a) + ln(b) so I know that isn't correct. What is the correct form?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, if you take the log of all of one side, you have to take the log of all of the other side. For instance if

c = a + b then log(c) = log(a+b) NOT log(c) = log(a) + log(b) If you plug in numbers for a, b and c you will clearly see this is so.

So what is ln(a+b) equal to in terms of ln(a) & ln(b)?

NonAbelian said:

Homework Statement

I'm taking a math of investment and credit course, in this case, solving for i which is the interest rate.

My question is: is it possible to "ln both sides" of an equation? Like in (b) below, I know I could say y*ln(1+i) = ln(3).

Homework Equations

(b) (1+i)^y = 3

I've already solved the actual question (a) by making the substitution x=(1+i)^4 and solving via quadratic equation. What I'm looking for is a more general method for solving these sort of questions.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, it is possible to "ln both sides of an equation"- that is just "doing the same thing to both sides of an equation". But it may not help! log can be used to "move" a variable down from a power so while it should work nicely for the second problem, it is not appropriate for the first problem. I'm not sure what you mean by making the "substitution x= (1+ i)^4". The first problem has no "unknown" and doesn't need to be "solved". I expect you are simply asked to do the calculation on the right side and show that you get 3. Multiply (1+ i) by it self to get (1+i)^2, then multiply that by itself to get (1+ i)^4, multiply that by itself to get (1+i)^8. Only three multiplications: not that hard.

For the second problem, (1+ i)^y= 3, since y is an exponent, yes, go ahead and use logarithms: ln((1+i)^y)= 3 so y ln(1+ i)= ln(3), as you say, and y= ln(3)/ln(1+i). Now you are going to have a problem with the fact that you have complex numbers! The complex number x+ iy can be represented as the point (x, y) in the "complex" plane and then changed to "polar coordinates". x+ iy= r e^{i theta} where r and theta are the polar coordinates: r= sqrt{x^2+ y^2} and theta= arctan(y/x). In this case, 1+ i corresponds to (1, 1) so r= sqrt(2) and theta =pi/4: 1+ i can be written as sqrt(3)e^(i pi/4) so ln(1+ i)= ln(sqrt(3))+ i pi/4= (1/2)ln(3)+ i pi/4.

Warning: for complex numbers, ln is NOT a "single valued function": theta could also be written and pi/4+ 2pi= 9pi/4 so ln(1+ i)= (1/2)ln(3)+ 9pi/4. In fact ln(1+ i)= (1/2)ln(3)+ pi/4+ 2npi where n is any integer.

NonAbelian said:
So what is ln(a+b) equal to in terms of ln(a) & ln(b)?
there is no simple formula for ln(a+ b).

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
there is no simple formula for ln(a+ b).

Ouch, I wasn't expecting that, ugg!

For (a) what I meant was to make 5(1+i)^8 + 10(1+i)^4 = 3 into a quadratic in x=(1+i)4 so: 5x2+10x - 3 = 0. The numbers are not correct, but the form is.

Thanks for your reply.

For what purpose? Exactly what does the problem ask you to do? You are not asked to solve an equation- there is no "unknown".

I really don't understand why you keep saying there is no unknown. i is the rate of interest, which is the unknown variable.

I don't know how I can make it plainer than that?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really don't understand why you keep saying there is no unknown. i is the rate of interest, which is the unknown variable.

Oooffff, there's the issue. You really should use r to represent rate of interest, as in math, i is used to represent sqrt(1)

Let's take Eq. 2b. from the OP first:

Find i, such that (1+i)^y = 3

You can take the log of both sides (I prefer common logs for this):

y * log (1+i) = log (3)

That's as far as we can go, unless y or i is specified.

For example, if you wanted to triple your investment in 20 years, what annual rate of interest would be required?

Substituting, 20 * log (1+i) = log (3)

log (1+i) = log (3) / 20 = 0.0239

Converting the log equation by using x = 10^log(x):
(1+i) = 10^0.0239 = 1.0565

Therefore: i = 1.0565 - 1 = 0.0565 or 5.65% annual interest rate

For Equation 2a from the OP:
5(1+i)^8 + 10(1+i)^4 = 3

we can't use log of both sides because the left side is a sum. If the interest rate i is the same in both terms, it would be possible to select a trial value of i and iterate until the equation is satisfied.

joehan said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oooffff, there's the issue. You really should use r to represent rate of interest, as in math, i is used to represent sqrt(1)

This is wrong.

i = sqrt(-1)

NonAbelian said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(b) (1+i)^y = 3

Thanks in advance!

There is something wrong with (a): you have "future values" of 5 and 10 adding up to only 3 (although as a purely mathematical question with no financial content it is OK). If you had said 5/(1+i)^8 + 10/(1+i)^4 = 5, that would make _financial_ sense. Anyway, your trick would not work for something like 5/(1+i)^3 + 8/(1+i)^7 + 3/(1+i)^8 = 10. To solve for i in that case would require *numerical* root-finding methods.

As others have said, you can't usefully take logarithms of an equation like like c*r^a + d*r^b = f, because log(c*r^a + d*r^b) is not related in any simple, exact way to log(r^a) and log(r^b).

RGV

Related to Basic: Properties of ln & Exponents

1. What is the natural logarithm (ln)?

The natural logarithm, denoted as ln, is the inverse function of the exponential function. It is used to find the exponent that must be raised to a specific base (usually e) in order to get a given number. For example, ln(e) = 1 because e^1 = e.

2. How are exponents and logarithms related?

Exponents and logarithms are inverse operations of each other. This means that if you apply an exponent to a number, you can "undo" it by applying the logarithm with the same base. Similarly, if you apply a logarithm to a number, you can "undo" it by applying the exponent with the same base.

3. What are the properties of ln?

The properties of ln include:

• ln of a product is equal to the sum of the ln of each factor: ln(xy) = ln(x) + ln(y)
  • ln of a quotient is equal to the difference of the ln of the numerator and denominator: ln(x/y) = ln(x) - ln(y)
  • ln of a power is equal to the exponent multiplied by the ln of the base: ln(x^a) = a*ln(x)

4. How do I solve equations involving ln and exponents?

To solve equations involving ln and exponents, you can use the properties of ln to simplify the equation. Then, you can use basic algebraic techniques to isolate the variable and solve for it. Remember to check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation.

5. How can I apply ln and exponents in real-life situations?

Ln and exponents are used in many real-life situations, such as calculating interest rates, population growth, and radioactive decay. They can also be used in finance, biology, and physics to model and analyze various processes and phenomena.