My Physics Teacher didn't tell me how to do this

In summary, the conversation is about an assignment on Pendulums and Harmonic motion. The person was given notes on vocabulary words and information on how certain factors affect the period and frequency of a pendulum. They were then given five problems to solve, for which they were provided with a formula and procedure to find the answers. However, there is some confusion as to whether the equations given were for the pendulum or for circular motion.
Earth_kissed
he gave me an assignment about Pendulums and Harmonic motion. He gave us notes on vocab words we would need to know like; Bob, Equilibrium, period, frequency, and oscilation. he also told us that Period is unaffected by height of drop. That Length is directly proportional to Period. and Length is inversly proportional to frequency. and mass doesn't affect anything... However these are the problems he gave us:

1. What is the length of a pendulum with a period of 2 seconds?

2. What is the period of a pendulum with a length of 67 meters?

3. What is the same Pendulum's frequency?

4. How long would the pendulum be if you doubled the period?

5. How long would the pendulum be if you doubled the frequency?

All I need is a formula or equation... but if you want to give me the procedure as well that would be helpfull.

Thank you,

Laura

Physics news on Phys.org
OK,

You must not have a very good textbook. This equation for the period of a simple pendulum should be useful to you:

[tex] T = 2\pi\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}} [/tex]

[tex]T = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{l}{g}} [/tex]

T is the time or period in seconds.
l is the length in meters.
g is the acceleration of gravity in meters/second^2

Frequency is the inverse of time so [itex] f = \frac{1}{T}[/itex]

To solve for l, you would need to arrange the formula accordingly.

Square both sides to get rid of the radical:

[tex] T^2 = 4 \pi ^2 \frac{l}{g} [/tex]

Arrange to solve for l:

[tex] l = \frac{T^2 g}{4 \pi ^2}[/tex]

thank you very much :)

these the answers I got... hope they arn't wrong!

1. .99m

2. 1.64s

3. .61 oscilatons per second

4. 2.68m

5. .17m

now I'm a little worried because my teacher did go over Centripetal force... maybe with these questions he was talking about a circular motion... because he absolutly did not give us that equation. But he did go over all the equations for Cenripetal force... I'm confused...

The answer for question 1 is correct. Recheck your calculation for question 2.

Are questions 3 - 5 referring to the pendulum in question 1 or question 2?

Originally posted by Earth_kissed
thank you very much :)

now I'm a little worried because my teacher did go over Centripetal force... maybe with these questions he was talking about a circular motion... because he absolutly did not give us that equation. But he did go over all the equations for Cenripetal force... I'm confused...

Oh. Well the formula we gave is derived from other equations dealing with angular motions and forces... Exactly what info were you given?

I have to log off now but I'm sure someone else will be around to help out. Good luck!

wow, my teacher did the EXACT same thing to me, but I had to find the conditions/problems in the experiment myself:frown: . Oh well.

1. Why didn't my physics teacher tell me how to do this?

There could be several reasons why your teacher did not explicitly teach you how to do a certain task. It could be that they expect you to already have the necessary knowledge and skills, or they want you to figure it out on your own to enhance your problem-solving abilities. It could also be a time constraint or a teaching strategy to encourage self-directed learning.

2. How can I learn how to do it without my teacher's guidance?

There are many resources available for learning physics, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. You can also ask your classmates or seek help from a tutor. Additionally, try breaking down the problem into smaller parts and using your knowledge of physics principles to solve each part.

3. Is it important to know how to do this in physics?

Yes, it is essential to have a strong understanding of all concepts and skills taught in physics. Each topic builds upon the previous one, and if you do not fully understand one concept, it can hinder your understanding of subsequent topics. It is crucial to review and practice until you are confident in your abilities.

4. Can I ask my teacher for help even though they didn't teach me how to do it?

Absolutely! Your teacher is there to support and guide you in your learning journey. They may have skipped over a topic or assumed you already knew how to do it, but they will still be willing to help you understand. It is also a good idea to communicate with your teacher about any challenges you are facing in the class.

5. What should I do if I still can't figure it out after trying different methods?

If you have exhausted all your resources and are still struggling, do not hesitate to reach out to your teacher for extra help. They may be able to provide additional explanations or tips to help you understand. You can also consider joining a study group or attending a review session to get a different perspective on the problem.