Are there any good books on elastics for a beginner?

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of building a cart using only elastics and wood as the propulsion system. The person is seeking recommendations for books on elastics for beginners and clarifies that they are referring to rubber bands. They also ask for help in defining the difference between a spring and an elastic and the potential performance categories for the cart.
PiRsq
Are there any good books on elastics for a beginner? I want to build a cart where I use only elastics and wood to propel the cart...What books can help me with this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by PiRsq
Are there any good books on elastics for a beginner? I want to build a cart where I use only elastics and wood to propel the cart...What books can help me with this?

what is an elastic?

in what sense is a steel spring not an elastic?

if a cart is driven by a twisted rubber band (like a rubberband
propellerdriven airplane) is the rubber band acting as a spring
or as an elastic

or both?

I suppose that spring materials can store energy without changing length very much---by torsion and bending

and I suppose elastics store energy by changing length

But I am just guessing. Is there an official definition
of what an elastic is? sorry I can't help. Just curious.

what i meant by elastic was rubber band

Originally posted by PiRsq
what i meant by elastic was rubber band

I understand, thanks. So your project is to make a rubberband
powered cart.

What performance category is most important to you?
speed? distance (range) on the level? hill-climbing ability?
load-bearing?

Its distance and lightweight

1. What is the best book for beginners to learn about elastics?

The best book for beginners to learn about elastics is "Elasticity: Theory, Applications, and Numerics" by Martin H. Sadd. It provides a comprehensive overview of the fundamentals of elastic materials and their applications.

2. Are there any books specifically focused on elastics for beginners?

Yes, "The Beginner's Guide to Elasticity" by Frank L. DiStefano III is a great resource for those new to the subject. It covers the basics of elasticity and provides numerous examples and practice problems.

3. What is the level of difficulty for these books on elastics?

The difficulty level of these books can vary, but they are all written with beginners in mind. They may require some basic knowledge of mathematics and physics, but they are designed to be accessible for those without a background in the subject.

4. Do these books cover both theoretical and practical aspects of elastics?

Yes, both "Elasticity: Theory, Applications, and Numerics" and "The Beginner's Guide to Elasticity" cover both theoretical and practical aspects of elastic materials. They provide a balance of theory and real-world applications to help readers fully understand the concepts.

5. Are there any online resources available for learning about elastics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about elastics, including tutorials, videos, and interactive simulations. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Engineering Toolbox.