Basic Probability question for a spin 1/2 Particle

In summary, the conversation discusses a beam of spin-1/2 particles and their possible results in measurements of the spin components Sz and Sx. The homework equations are used to find the probabilities of these results, but there is confusion about the first part of the question due to an improperly normalized wavefunction.
richyw

Homework Statement

A beam of spin-1/2 particles is prepared in the state

[tex]\left|\psi\right\rangle=\frac{2}{\sqrt{13}}\left|+\right\rangle_x+i \frac{2}{\sqrt{13}}\left|-\right\rangle_x[/tex]

a) What are the possible results of a measurement of the spin component Sz, and with what probabilities would they occur?

b) What are the possible results of a measurement of the spin component Sx, and with what probabilities would they occur?

Homework Equations

[tex]P_x=\left|\left\langle x\right| \left. \psi \right\rangle\right|^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I can find out the answer to part b just by plugging it straight into the formula and using that [itex]_x\left\langle +\right| \left. + \right\rangle_x=1[/itex] and [itex]_x\left\langle +\right| \left. - \right\rangle_x=0[/itex]

my problem is with the first part of the question. If I use the same method as before I end up with
[tex]_z\left\langle +\right| \left. + \right\rangle_x\\
_z\left\langle +\right| \left. - \right\rangle_x\\
_z\left\langle -\right| \left. + \right\rangle_x\\
_z\left\langle -\right| \left. - \right\rangle_x[/tex] in my equations. And I do not understand how to know what these are.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can express ##_z\left\langle +\right |## in terms of ##_x\left\langle +\right |## and ##_x\left\langle -\right |## (or vice versa).

Your wavefunction does not look properly normalized.

Related to Basic Probability question for a spin 1/2 Particle

1. What is a spin 1/2 particle?

A spin 1/2 particle is a type of elementary particle that has a spin quantum number of 1/2. This means that it has a half-integer spin value, which is a fundamental property of particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum.

2. How is basic probability calculated for a spin 1/2 particle?

The basic probability for a spin 1/2 particle is calculated using the Pauli spin matrices. These matrices represent the possible spin states of the particle and can be used to determine the probability of it being in a particular spin state at a given time.

3. What is the difference between spin up and spin down for a spin 1/2 particle?

Spin up and spin down refer to the two possible spin states of a spin 1/2 particle. Spin up corresponds to a positive spin value, while spin down corresponds to a negative spin value. These states are often represented by the arrows pointing up and down in diagrams.

4. Can a spin 1/2 particle have a spin value other than 1/2?

No, a spin 1/2 particle can only have a spin quantum number of 1/2. This is a fundamental property of the particle and cannot be changed or altered.

5. How does the spin of a particle affect its behavior?

The spin of a particle affects its behavior in various ways, depending on the context. In some cases, the spin may determine the particle's interaction with other particles or its stability. In other cases, the spin may affect the particle's magnetic properties or its energy levels.