What is Connes fusion and its connection to commutivity?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fusion
In summary, "Connes fusion" is a term that refers to the fusion of two representations in algebraic structures, specifically in Algebraic Quantum Field Theory. This concept was first introduced by Anthony Wassermann in a 1998 paper and is based on the idea of multiplying or fusing two modules together. However, it does not refer to a new source of energy as it is simply a mathematical concept.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
can someone explain to me this term?
i know that's it is concenered to commutivity (or the lack of it).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am afraid you will have to give us more information on where you saw or hear of "connes fusion". I've never seen the term before!

I think it's some kind of tensor product between quantum groups. This is off the top of my head from a book I picked up about six months ago, so it's more than likely inaccurate...

Originally posted by Lonewolf
I think it's some kind of tensor product between quantum groups. This is off the top of my head from a book I picked up about six months ago, so it's more than likely inaccurate...

That's not so inaccurate! I think the first use of the term
"Connes fusion" was in a 1998 paper by Tony Wassermann at Cambridge

http://arxiv.org/abs/math.OA/9806031

and he references the 1994 book by Alain Connes "Non-commutative Geometry"

A group representation can be thought of as a 'module' and there is a way to "fuse" two representations together which is essentially taking a kind of "tensor product" of two modules.
And Connes talked about ways of fusing or multiplying together two modules.

Then in 1998 Anthony Wassermann was writing about Algebraic Quantum Field Theory and fusing two representations and he introduced the idea of "Connes fusion" in the first paragraph of the paper.

too bad its just a fusion of two algebraic structures and not some kind of new source of energy that would replace the need for petroleum

What is Connes fusion?

Connes fusion, also known as noncommutative geometry, is a mathematical framework developed by French mathematician Alain Connes. It aims to extend geometry to include noncommutative spaces, where the order of operations matters, rather than just commutative spaces where the order does not affect the outcome. This framework has applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics.

What is the connection between Connes fusion and commutivity?

The main connection between Connes fusion and commutivity is that Connes fusion is a way to extend commutative geometry to include noncommutative spaces. This means that Connes fusion takes into account the order of operations, which is a crucial aspect in noncommutative spaces.

How is Connes fusion used in physics?

Connes fusion has various applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding noncommutative spaces and their properties, which are essential for studying quantum systems. It has also been used in string theory and in the development of noncommutative field theories.

What are some real-world examples of Connes fusion and its applications?

One real-world example of Connes fusion is the use of noncommutative geometry in the study of quasicrystals, which are materials with a special type of order that cannot be described using traditional commutative geometry. Another example is the use of noncommutative geometry in the development of quantum computers, where the order of operations is crucial in computations.

What are some current research topics related to Connes fusion?

Current research topics related to Connes fusion include its applications in quantum information theory, the study of noncommutative spaces in cosmology, and its connections to other areas of mathematics such as number theory and topology. There is also ongoing research on extending Connes fusion to higher dimensions and developing new techniques for studying noncommutative spaces.