Basic Nuclear Fusion question on Binding energy

In summary, nuclear fusion involves combining two particles with a lower binding energy to form a new particle with a higher binding energy. This results in a lower mass for the new particle due to the conversion of mass into energy during the fusion process. This concept can be confusing, but it is important to understand in order to grasp the concept of energy release in nuclear fusion reactions.
JonDawe
Hey guys, I'm getting a bit confused about nuclear fusion. I understand the basics of binding energy being the energy required to split the nucleons apart etc. and the fact that in nuclear fusion you are combining two particles e.g. (2 deuterium nuclei) with a lowish binding energy to form a particle (he-4 or something) with a higher binding energy. I'm just getting a bit confused at why a higher binding energy means that the mass of the particle relative to the masses of the 2 fusion reactants is lower? Can someone here help explain it?

I know nuclei with higher binding energy per nucleon have a lower*atomic weight*per nucleon, but I'm kind of confused at why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Binding energy is always negative (otherwise the state is not bound), and "high" is usually meant as absolute value. So helium has a "high negative" binding energy, it is actually a low-energetic state. This means that fusion can release energy while forming this state.

Likes geoelectronics

Hi there! I can try to help explain this concept to you. When two particles fuse together, they release energy in the form of binding energy. This energy is what holds the particles together. So, when the two particles fuse, their binding energy is added together to form a new particle with a higher binding energy. This means that the new particle is more tightly bound together, and therefore has a lower mass than the two separate particles combined. This is because some of the mass has been converted into energy during the fusion process. I hope that helps clarify things for you! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Basic Nuclear Fusion question on Binding energy

1. What is nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy. This is the process that powers the sun and other stars.

2. How is energy released in nuclear fusion?

Energy is released in nuclear fusion through the conversion of mass into energy. When two atomic nuclei fuse together, the resulting nucleus has a slightly lower mass than the sum of the original nuclei. This difference in mass is converted into energy according to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc².

3. What is binding energy in nuclear fusion?

Binding energy is the amount of energy required to break apart an atomic nucleus into its individual protons and neutrons. In nuclear fusion, the binding energy is released when two nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus.

4. How does binding energy affect nuclear fusion reactions?

The amount of binding energy in a nucleus determines the stability of that nucleus. Nuclei with lower binding energy require less energy to break apart, making them easier to fuse. This means that nuclei with lower binding energy, such as hydrogen, are more likely to undergo fusion reactions than nuclei with higher binding energy, such as uranium.

5. What are the challenges of achieving nuclear fusion on Earth?

One of the main challenges of achieving nuclear fusion on Earth is the extremely high temperatures and pressures required to initiate and sustain the reaction. These conditions are difficult and expensive to create and control. Another challenge is finding a way to contain the superheated plasma, as it can easily melt through any known material. Additionally, the fusion process currently requires more energy input than it produces, making it difficult to create a sustainable and efficient fusion reactor.