Basic Lorentz Transform widget

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a "reader" in Mathematica that allows for interactive calculations and plots to be shared. The reader is available for free and can be downloaded from the provided link. There is a minor issue with displaying numbers when the x' value is zero. The conversation also mentions using the reader on a Windows 7 64-bit machine with IE9 and expanding the controls for better functionality.
I have recently found that Mathematica has a "reader" which allows interactive calculations and plots to be shared. Here is a simple example, please let me know if there is interest in more such widgets.

Attachments

• BasicLT.cdf
    5.5 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
DaleSpam said:
I have recently found that Mathematica has a "reader" which allows interactive calculations and plots to be shared. Here is a simple example, please let me know if there is interest in more such widgets.

Where do you get the reader? My browser has no idea what to do with this file. I assume it's free a la the pdf reader versus document creator? If this is to be used on PF, we should have a ling somewhere to download the reader, as this is not something people are likely to have (unlike pdf).

I think you need Mathematica.

After I installed the player, it said that it wasn't working but I went ahead and ran the widget and it did work. I did this on a Windows 7 64-bit machine with IE9.

I clicked on the three + signs to expand the controls which I think is very important to do. I found one minor problem. Whenever the x' value is zero, it displays an incorrectly formatted very small number with an exponent. For example, set t=5, x=3, v=0.6.

I thought this was only going to be a conversion of x and t coordinates from one frame to another moving at some v and it does that but in addition, it makes a Minkowski diagram showing the two frames.

Related to Basic Lorentz Transform widget

What is a Basic Lorentz Transform widget?

A Basic Lorentz Transform widget is a tool used in physics to illustrate the effects of the Lorentz transformation, which is a mathematical formula used to describe the relationship between space and time in special relativity.

How does a Basic Lorentz Transform widget work?

A Basic Lorentz Transform widget typically consists of a graph or animation that shows the distortion of space and time caused by an object moving at high speeds. Users can input different values for velocity and observe how it affects the shape of the graph or animation.

What is the importance of using a Basic Lorentz Transform widget?

A Basic Lorentz Transform widget can help individuals understand the principles of special relativity and how it affects the way we perceive space and time. It can also be a useful tool for visualizing complex mathematical concepts.

Can a Basic Lorentz Transform widget be used for practical applications?

While a Basic Lorentz Transform widget is primarily used for educational purposes, it can also have practical applications in fields such as astrophysics and aerospace engineering, where understanding the effects of special relativity is crucial.

Are there any limitations to using a Basic Lorentz Transform widget?

One limitation of using a Basic Lorentz Transform widget is that it only provides a simplified visualization of the effects of the Lorentz transformation. To fully understand and apply the concept, individuals may need to study the underlying mathematical principles in more detail.