Basic Lenz's Law question, loop near current carrying wire

In summary, the use of Lenz's law suggests that the induced current in the loop will oppose the motion causing it. When the loop is moved up or down, a current is induced in the opposite direction, while no current is induced when the loop moves right. The magnetic force acting on the loop is down into the page, due to the magnetic field generated by the current-carrying wire. The direction of the B-field can be determined using the right hand rule, and the change in area of the loop must also be considered when determining the direction of the induced current.
neener
So I need to study Lenz's law and have only learned the absolute basics so far. I'm a little stuck on this study question. I'd really appreciate anyone who helps solidify my understanding of it a little bit!

Homework Statement

Consider a circular loop of wire near a long, steady-current-carrying wire, as shown below:

[PLAIN]http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6899/phystopic3.gif

(1) What happens when the loop is moved up (as shown by direction v in the diagram)? Down? To the right? If current flows, is it CW or CCW?

(2) Is a magnetic force acting on the loop? If so, in what direction?

Homework Equations

None applicable, I don't think.

The Attempt at a Solution

So Lenz's law states that the flow of an induced current opposes whatever is causing it. So in attempting to answer each part of the question, I have:

(1) When the loop is moved up, current is induced which flows CCW (I'm sure of this). When the loop moves down, current is induced which flows CW. (I'm sort of sure of this). When the loop moves right (parallel to the wire), nothing happens, because no current is induced. (Again, sort of sure)

(2) A magnetic force from the current carrying wire is acting on the loop down into the page. The reason that I think this is from the magnetic field induced from current flowing in the wire as shown here:

[PLAIN]http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/4169/whyit1.jpg

Do I have these things right? Or do I have some parts backwards?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1)

You have to use two right hand rule for this, one is to find the direction of the B-field generated by the wire.

Then you got to think about what happens as you move the loop up and down, what's happening to the area? let me be more specific, what happens to the CHANGE in area?

Related to Basic Lenz's Law question, loop near current carrying wire

What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a basic principle in electromagnetism that states that the direction of an induced current in a conductor will be such that it opposes the change in magnetic flux that produced it.

What is a current carrying wire?

A current carrying wire is a wire through which an electrical current is flowing. This can be achieved by connecting the wire to a power source such as a battery or generator.

How does a loop near a current carrying wire affect Lenz's Law?

A loop near a current carrying wire can experience an induced current due to the changing magnetic field produced by the wire. This induced current will be in a direction that opposes the change in the magnetic field, in accordance with Lenz's Law.

What are the practical applications of Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law has many practical applications, including in generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in electromagnetic braking systems, where a changing magnetic field is used to slow down a moving metal object.

How does Lenz's Law relate to the conservation of energy?

Lenz's Law is closely related to the principle of conservation of energy. The law states that the induced current will always oppose the change in the magnetic field, which requires work to be done. This work is provided by the energy stored in the changing magnetic field, ensuring that energy is conserved in the system.