Basic implicit differentiation question

In summary: So the answer is (-rsinθ)*(dθ/dt).In summary, when finding dx/dt for x=rcos(θ), one must use the chain rule and take into account that r and θ are functions of t. Thus, the correct solution is (-rsinθ)*(dθ/dt).
influx
So it has been quite a few years since I learned about implicit differentiation so the content is a bit rusty in my mind.

x=rcos(θ)

How do you find dx/dt?

I know the answer but I am trying to figure out why. I mean dx/dt can be written as (dx/dθ)*(dθ/dt) so why is the answer not just (-rsinθ)*(dθ/dt)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You have to know which variables in the RHS which depends on ##t##. By the way, you don't need implicit differentiation in this case since what you want to find is ##dx/dt## and ##x## in your equation has been expressed explicitly in terms of the other variables.
influx said:
so why is the answer not just (-rsinθ)*(dθ/dt)?
So you know the right answer? It will be helpful to post it as well.

influx said:
x=rcos(θ)

How do you find dx/dt?
Since you have not specified otherwise, I assume that you really have [itex]x(t)=r(t)\cdot \cos(\theta (t)) [/itex]. Then [itex]\frac{dx(t)}{dt}=\frac{dr(t)}{dt}\cdot \cos(\theta(t))+r(t)\cdot\frac{dcos(\theta(t))}{dt}=\frac{dr(t)}{dt}\cdot \cos(\theta(t))+r(t)\cdot(-\sin(\theta(t)))\frac{d\theta(t)}{dt} [/itex]

For x a function of two variables, r and [itex]\theta[/itex], where r and [itex]\theta[/itex] are functions of t, the "chain rule" is
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= \frac{\partial x}{\partial r}\frac{dr}{dt}+ \frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta}\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex]
That gives Svein's answer.

Related to Basic implicit differentiation question

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of an equation where the dependent variable is not explicitly written in terms of the independent variable. This is often used when the equation is too complex to easily solve for the dependent variable.

2. How do you perform implicit differentiation?

To perform implicit differentiation, you must use the chain rule and the product rule to differentiate the equation with respect to the independent variable. You will then solve for the derivative of the dependent variable.

3. What is the difference between implicit and explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of an equation where the dependent variable is explicitly written in terms of the independent variable. Implicit differentiation, on the other hand, is used when the dependent variable is not explicitly written in terms of the independent variable.

4. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when it is difficult or impossible to solve an equation explicitly for the dependent variable. This often occurs when the equation is complex or contains both the dependent and independent variables.

5. What is the purpose of implicit differentiation?

The purpose of implicit differentiation is to find the derivative of an equation with respect to the independent variable, even when the dependent variable is not explicitly written in terms of the independent variable. This allows for the calculation of rates of change and optimization in more complex equations.