Computer Science Term Paper Ideas?

In summary: And a paper for a research conference is quite another thing.I would say that in general, the more specific and narrow your topic is, the easier it will be to find good sources. For example, I would expect to have an easier time finding good material on "Turing machines for sorting large lists" than on "Turing machines".In summary, some interesting topics for a term paper in computer science include sorting efficiency, tree structures, artificial intelligence, and data compression. While artificial intelligence may be more theoretical, there are practical applications such as neural networks. Data compression and quantum computing are also viable options. When writing a paper, it is important to thoroughly research and use authoritative sources. Narrower topics may be easier to find material on
SDNess
For visual basic I need to write a term paper on any topic in computer science that is in depth enough to last four pages. Any interesting ideas?

Technology news on Phys.org
Here are some ideas:

1. Sorting Effienciency (Big O) - Compare Bubble, shell, quick, heap, radix, etc

2. Trees - Balancing, Branching, Traversing, Sorting, etc

3. Artificial Intellegence - Data Mining, Expert Systems, Neural Networks

4. Data Compression - Matrix Decomposition, Pattern Recognition.

Could you give a little summary for each of the topics in 3 and 4?

Originally posted by SDNess
Could you give a little summary for each of the topics in 3 and 4?

O come on, can't you put in atleast a little effort trying to look these things up on google or something.

Here's a good intro to data compression, both lossy and lossless:

http://www.stanford.edu/~udara/SOCO/overview/index.htm [Broken]

I would suggest doing the paper on data compression. Not only is it a very interesting field, but it has many application that you can actually experiment with.
Download the sourcecode for various compression algorthims and test them out.

Artificial Intelligence is only good if you want to talk about theory and nothing else. You can't really test out many things, as the algorithm complexity escalates at a tremendous rate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by dduardo
Artificial Intelligence is only good if you want to talk about theory and nothing else. You can't really test out many things, as the algorithm complexity escalates at a tremendous rate.

Not so. There are plenty of practical, implementable topics in AI. Neural networks of a reasonable size are certainly testable. Other topics such as evolutionary computation (eg. genetic algorithms), vision, and planning & constraint satisfaction are not limited to theory, as well.

Alright, thanks.

I'm going with Data compression or quantum computing I think.

Originally posted by SDNess
Alright, thanks.

I'm going with Data compression or quantum computing I think.

Hmm...that's good, if you want you can also try Automata, or Turing Machine :)

@moni: could you please tell abt how i can do a paper on turing machine ?

Um, Moni made that post six and a half years ago.

As for "how do I write a paper on X", whether X is Turing machines or anything else, I would say the general procedure is to first do a Web search to find out what material is out there in general. I would avoid using Web pages as actual sources for your paper, unless you find a site that is clearly authoritative (i.e. written by an identifiable person who is an actually an authority on the subject, and is referred to by many other sites). Instead, look for references to books, or articles in professional journals, and then find them in a library. (Some journals do post articles online.)

Of course, what kind of sources are acceptable depends on what level you are working at. A paper for a high school class is one thing. A paper for a university computer science course is another (more rigorous) thing.

1. What is the purpose of a computer science term paper?

A computer science term paper is a written assignment that allows students to explore a specific topic in depth and demonstrate their understanding of key concepts in the field. It also serves as a way for students to showcase their research and critical thinking skills.

2. How do I choose a topic for my computer science term paper?

Choosing a topic for a computer science term paper can be a challenging task. It is important to select a topic that interests you and aligns with your academic goals. You can also consider current issues and trends in the field, as well as your personal experiences and areas of expertise.

3. Are there any specific formatting guidelines for a computer science term paper?

Yes, there are specific formatting guidelines that must be followed for a computer science term paper. This typically includes using a specific citation style, such as APA or MLA, and formatting the paper with double spacing, 12-point font, and 1-inch margins. It is important to carefully review and follow the instructions provided by your instructor.

4. What resources should I use for research in a computer science term paper?

There are a variety of resources that can be used for research in a computer science term paper. These may include academic journals, books, online databases, and reputable websites. It is important to critically evaluate the sources you use and ensure they are reliable and relevant to your topic.

5. How can I make my computer science term paper stand out?

To make your computer science term paper stand out, you can incorporate real-world examples, use visual aids such as diagrams or graphs, and include your own analysis and insights. Additionally, proofreading and editing your paper thoroughly can help to ensure it is well-written and error-free.