Basic Decay Equations possible? - Parity, symmetry concepts

In summary, for part i, the decay is allowed because the LHS has odd parity and the RHS satisfies the conditions of requiring an odd value for l and conservation of total angular momentum. For part ii, the decay is not possible because the final wavefunction must be symmetric under the exchange of two identical bosons, which requires an even value for the orbital angular momentum, leading to inconsistency. This argument is based on the nature of bosons and fermions and their behavior under exchange, rather than the identity of the bosons. Additionally, the determination of s=0 for the RHS is based on the fact that these decays take place in the ground state.
binbagsss

The question is to determine which decays are possible
for:

i) ##P^0## ## ->\prod## ##^+## ## \prod## ##^-##
ii)##P^0## ## ->\prod## ##^0## ## \prod## ##^0##

where ##J^p = 0^-, 1^- ## respectively for ## \prod## ##^+##, ## \prod## ##^-## , ## \prod## ##^0## and ##P^0## respectively.

For part i,
the LHS has odd parity.## P=(-1)^l##, so on the RHS we require ## l ## to be odd.
Also need to conserve total angular momentum ##J=(l+s)+(l+s-1)+...+ | l-s | *##
On LHS ##J=1.##
##s=0##, so conservation gives ## l=-1 ##, which is consistent with an odd parity , so the decay is allowed.

(On another note, I'm not 100% on my method for determing ##s=0## for the RHS, my reasoning is as follows, please let me know if this is correct: )
By * we can attain a certain ##J## , for a fixed ##s##, with varying values of ## l ##. so ##l## varies from ##0## to at least ##J##. )

part ii) We have the same ##J## and ##P## arguments, so I would have concluded the decay is possible.
The solution however is that is not because the RHS now has 2 identical bosons so the final wavefunction must be symmetric under the exchange of the two neutral pions. However this requires that the orbital angular momentum is even, so we have inconsistency.

So here's what I know :
If you swap 2 bosons the wave function has to be unchanged, but if you swap 2 fermions the wave function changes sign.

So , with this, I now don't see why we can't apply the argument to the decay in part i) - this argument is based on being a boson/ fermion - nothing to do with weather the bosons are identical or not?

Secondly, I don't follow the argument completely: The angular momentum being odd or even, as far as I can see, comes from the parity being odd or even- ##P=(-1)^l##, whereas parity is describing how the wave function behaves under a change from ##\vec r## to ##\vec -r## So what has this got to do with swapping 2 bosons?Sorry it's a tad long your assitance is greatly appreciated ! Thanks in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
bump.

i can't find the edit- does it go after a day?...

...the comment on determining ##s=0## - is ##l=0## as these decays take place in ground state?

Related to Basic Decay Equations possible? - Parity, symmetry concepts

1. What is the concept of parity in basic decay equations?

The concept of parity in basic decay equations refers to the symmetry of the decay process. It is a property that determines whether the final state of the decay is identical to the initial state when mirrored. In other words, it is a measure of the left-right asymmetry of the decay process.

2. What is the role of symmetry in basic decay equations?

Symmetry plays a crucial role in basic decay equations as it helps in understanding the properties and behavior of particles during the decay process. The laws of physics are often based on the principle of symmetry, and studying symmetry in decay equations can provide insights into the fundamental laws of nature.

3. How is parity determined in basic decay equations?

Parity is determined by analyzing the final state of the decay process. If the final state is identical to the initial state when mirrored, then the decay is said to have even parity or be symmetric. If the final state is not identical, then the decay is said to have odd parity or be asymmetric.

4. What are some examples of basic decay equations with different parities?

One example of a decay process with even parity is the beta decay of a neutron into a proton, electron, and antineutrino. On the other hand, the decay of a pion into two photons is an example of a process with odd parity.

5. How does the concept of parity impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of parity has played a crucial role in shaping our understanding of the universe. It has led to the discovery of new particles and helped in understanding the fundamental forces and interactions between them. Studying parity in decay equations has also provided evidence for the violation of parity conservation, leading to a deeper understanding of the laws of physics.