Basic Chemistry problem and I please

In summary, the table provided is asking for the properties of a specific isotope of Sulfur, which is represented by the symbol ^{34}_{16}S. The atomic number is fixed at 16, so the mass number of this isotope can be calculated by subtracting the atomic number from the atomic mass. Isotopes are variants of elements that have differing numbers of neutrons, and the atomic mass listed on the periodic table is a weighted average of the different isotopes present in nature. For example, the atomic mass of chlorine is 35.5, which is a weighted average of the masses of its two main isotopes, 35Cl and 36Cl. In the case of Nickel, with 28 pro
kelsie
The problem statement:

Complete the following table:

Symbol: Element Name: Atomic #: Mass # # of Protons # of Neutrons # of Electrons
34 Sulfur
S

I am confused how they got the # 34 above S. The atomic # is 16 and atomic weight is 32. How did they get 34?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean [itex]^{34}S[/itex]? This is equivalent to [itex]^{34}_{16}S[/itex]. Have you heard about isotopes?

Yes that's it. I don't get how they got the number 34. According to the web, Isotopes are variants of atoms of a particular chemical element, which have differing numbers of neutrons.

Is there a calculation they did to get that number?

Thanks!

There are several isotopes of sulfur, [itex]^{34}_{16}S[/itex] is just one of them. Mass can be determined (for example) by the mass spectroscopy, but it doesn't matter here. Question is about this particular isotope, regardless of where the information comes from.

wait I think I understand what you're saying. It's a given symbol so all I need to do is just plug it in the table that was given to me. Sorry chemistry is still new to me. How about the element Nickel? If the # of protons is 28 and # of neutron is 34, what is the symbol?

We are given a table to fill in the blank and I get the atomic #, protons, neutrons, and electrons. But confused about filling in the symbol part of the table.

The atomic mass on the periodic table is simply just the most common ones. For example, carbon is usually the isotope(atomic mass) 12, but if it happens that there are more neutrons in that isotope, that will change the atomic mass. Protons will always be the same, but the number of neutrons in an element can vary. So in your table, they are asking how many protons/electrons/neutrons in THAT particular isotope of Sulfur. So just minus the atomic number of sulfur (which never changes on the periodic chart) from the mass number you are given, and that is how many neutrons are present in that isotope. Just remember that electrons do not hold a large enough mass to be counted, just count the neutrons and protons
:)

J-Girl said:
The atomic mass on the periodic table is simply just the most common ones.

No, it is not the most common one. Element in nature is a mix of different isotopes, and the mass given in PT is a weighted average of their masses. Chlorine atomic mass is 35.5 - it doesn't mean the most common isotope has an atomic mass of 35.5, but the chlorine is an almost exactly 50/50 mixture of 35Cl and 36Cl.

kelsie said:
How about the element Nickel? If the # of protons is 28 and # of neutron is 34, what is the symbol?

What is the atomic mass of this isotope?

Related to Basic Chemistry problem and I please

1. What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance made up of only one type of atom. A compound is a substance made up of two or more different types of atoms chemically bonded together.

2. How do I calculate the number of moles in a given amount of substance?

To calculate the number of moles, divide the given mass of the substance by its molar mass. The result will be the number of moles in that amount of substance.

3. What is the difference between an acid and a base?

An acid is a substance that releases hydrogen ions (H+) when dissolved in water, while a base is a substance that releases hydroxide ions (OH-) when dissolved in water. Acids have a pH less than 7, while bases have a pH greater than 7.

4. How do I balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, make sure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of that element on the product side. Use coefficients to adjust the number of molecules of each compound if necessary.

5. What is the difference between an exothermic and an endothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction releases heat to its surroundings, causing the temperature to increase. An endothermic reaction absorbs heat from its surroundings, causing the temperature to decrease.