Basic arithmetic through to university lvl textbook recommendations

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student seeking recommendations for mathematics textbooks to help fill in gaps in their learning and prepare for university level math. The speaker recommends "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang for basic arithmetic, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart for calculus, "Algebra and Trigonometry" by Michael Sullivan or "Geometry" by Ray C. Jurgensen for algebra and geometry, and "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay for university level math. They also suggest checking out the "For Dummies" series and using online resources for additional practice and support.
Powermaniac
Hi all, newbie here.

So I've tried asking this question on Reddit with barely a reply and now another forum I frequent with also not much of a reply. And a while back an acquaintance recommended this forum to me.

So my request is can you recommend me some mathematics textbooks that go from basic arithmetic all the way up to university level mathematics. See I'm in high school currently (year 11) but I've been a sick kid and thus there are gaps in my learning. I therefore basically wish to re-teach myself maths. Plus some good textbooks are always good for a future reference. I've been using Khan Academy but it's lacking in some areas. And I know about the other sites and have checked them out but I am looking for books just books. And knowing what books to get is the hard bit here.

So any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

If I've posted in the wrong area sorry and please move it to the appropriate area.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

First of all, welcome to the forum! It's great to see that you are eager to learn and improve your understanding of mathematics. I can definitely understand the importance of having a strong foundation in math.

In terms of textbooks, there are many great options out there, but I'll recommend a few that I personally found helpful during my studies.

For basic arithmetic, I would recommend "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang. It covers all the fundamentals and has plenty of exercises for practice.

Moving on to more advanced topics, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart is a great choice. It covers calculus from the basics to more advanced concepts, and has clear explanations and plenty of examples.

For algebra and geometry, "Algebra and Trigonometry" by Michael Sullivan or "Geometry" by Ray C. Jurgensen are both excellent options. They cover the basics as well as more advanced topics in a clear and concise manner.

As for university level math, "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay is a great choice. It covers linear algebra in depth and has many real-world applications.

I also highly recommend checking out the "For Dummies" series for specific topics that you may need extra help with. They have books on topics like statistics, differential equations, and more.

I hope these recommendations help you on your journey to re-teaching yourself math. Remember to also use online resources like Khan Academy and other websites for additional practice and clarification. And don't hesitate to reach out to this forum or other forums for help and support. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to Basic arithmetic through to university lvl textbook recommendations

1. What is basic arithmetic?

Basic arithmetic is a branch of mathematics that deals with the fundamental operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It involves manipulating numbers and symbols to solve equations and problems.

2. What are the main topics covered in a university level arithmetic textbook?

A university level arithmetic textbook typically covers topics such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, and statistics. It may also include topics related to number theory, discrete mathematics, and complex numbers.

3. How can I improve my skills in arithmetic?

To improve your skills in arithmetic, it is important to practice regularly and also seek help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. It may also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps.

4. What are some recommended textbooks for learning basic arithmetic?

Some popular textbooks for learning basic arithmetic include "Basic Arithmetic" by Marvin Bittinger, "Arithmetic for the Practical Man" by J.E. Thompson, and "The Art of Problem Solving: Introduction to Algebra" by Richard Rusczyk. It is important to choose a textbook that aligns with your learning style and level of understanding.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong foundation in arithmetic for university level math courses?

Yes, having a strong foundation in arithmetic is crucial for success in university level math courses. Many advanced mathematical concepts build upon basic arithmetic skills, and without a solid understanding of these fundamentals, it can be difficult to grasp more complex topics. It is important to continuously review and practice basic arithmetic to maintain a strong foundation.