Bases, Invertibility and Injectivity Query

• Thread starter Ad123q
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bases
In summary, the conversation discusses two concepts in linear algebra: the equivalence between a set of vectors forming a basis and a matrix being invertible, and the relationship between a linear map being invertible and injective. The first concept states that a set of vectors is a basis if and only if the matrix made up of those vectors is invertible. The second concept explains that a linear map is injective if and only if it is invertible and that this can be proven by applying the inverse of the map to both sides of the equation.
Ad123q
Hi

There are two things that are confusing me a bit, and was wondering if anyone could explain them.

Firstly, if we let V1,V2,...,Vn be vectors in some field F^n and let P = {V1,V2,...,Vn},
then the following are equivalent:

(i) {V1,V2,...,Vn} is a basis for F^n ;
(ii) P is invertible.

Secondly, let T be a linear map. Then if T is invertible, then it is injective.

Thanks for the hep in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "P is invertible".
As I see it, P is just a set (with n vectors as its elements). What does it mean for a set to be invertible? Or is there some definition / notation that is not generally used here?

For the second one I can help you: to show that T is injective, you should have that whenever T(x) = T(y) (for arbitrary x and y in the domain), then x = y. This is almost trivial to prove: apply the inverse of T to both sides!

I think Ad123q means that P is the matrix whose column vectors V1, V2, etc.

If P is invertible then the V1, V2, etc must be linearly independent. Conversely, it is also true that if the V1, V2, etc are linearly independent, then the matrix P must be invertible.

To get a feel for this, suppose two columns of a matrix were linearly dependent. (Say the ith and jth.) Then that would mean that two linearly independent vectors would be mapped by P onto the same line. (Specifically, the ith and jth standard basis vectors.) Speaking loosely, this destroys information about the vectors being multiplied by P, so you can't invert P.

Related to Bases, Invertibility and Injectivity Query

1. What is a base in mathematics?

In mathematics, a base is a set of numbers or vectors that can be used to represent other numbers or vectors. It is the foundation or starting point for a larger system of numbers or vectors.

2. What does it mean for a matrix to be invertible?

A matrix is invertible if it has an inverse matrix, which when multiplied together, results in the identity matrix. This means that the original matrix can be "undone" or reversed, and any operation performed on it can be reversed using the inverse matrix.

3. How do you determine if a matrix is invertible?

A matrix is invertible if its determinant is non-zero. The determinant is a numerical value that can be calculated from the entries of the matrix. If the determinant is equal to zero, then the matrix is not invertible.

4. What is injectivity in linear algebra?

Injectivity, also known as one-to-one mapping, is a property of a function that states that each input has a unique output. In linear algebra, it means that each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the codomain.

5. Can a non-square matrix be invertible?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be invertible. Only square matrices (matrices with an equal number of rows and columns) can have inverses. Non-square matrices do not have enough information to "undo" the original matrix, and therefore do not have a unique solution for an inverse.