Base excitation of undamped Spring-mass system

In summary, the conversation was about a student seeking advice on a question for their signals and systems course. The student had solved the first part of the question using Laplace Transforms and was unsure if their solution was correct. They were also unsure about the second and third parts of the question and needed guidance on how to approach them. The conversation also touched on the topic of characteristic equations for differential equations and the frequency response of a system. The expert advised the student to continue their work and clarified some concepts. The student later posted their progress on the question.
Rian199

Homework Statement

I am a little stuck/unsure in an homework question for my signals and systems course. See question sheet attached. I have been able to do question 1 for the first section using FBD, and I have solved the DE using Laplace Transforms (See below for my solution). I am both unsure if my solution is correct, and what to do for question 2 and 3 of Section 1A. It might be because I did not learn most of this is English, but I am just not sure exactly what those two questions are asking?Please advise, thank you! Just a place to start at the very least would suffice!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

y(t) = [(F0 * ω02)]/[(ω02 - ω2)] * sin(ωt) + C1*cos(ω0t) + C2*sin(ω0t)

Attachments

• Microsoft Word - Assignment 1 ENS3553 - 2016 v1.1.pdf
    161.6 KB · Views: 504
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello again, Rian,

Well, at least the problem statement is legible now :smile:
Part 1 asks to show something, but you ask if your solution of the DE is correct (without showing how you got it, so you make it a little difficult). What is ##F_0, \ \omega, \ \omega_0 \ \ ## ? (I know, but you apparently assume some things you don't mention)

For part 2: you know (or can google) what a characteristic equation for a differential equation is. Can you confirm ?

For part 3: the frequency response is (amplitude of y) divided by (amplitude of h) as a function of ##\omega##. Clearly things become problematic at some value of ##\omega##. Something to fix that is attempted on page 2, so you have a long way to go after Section 1A.

The subject at hand is very interesting and extremely useful in many fields of science !

BvU said:
Hello again, Rian,

Well, at least the problem statement is legible now :smile:
Part 1 asks to show something, but you ask if your solution of the DE is correct (without showing how you got it, so you make it a little difficult). What is ##F_0, \ \omega, \ \omega_0 \ \ ## ? (I know, but you apparently assume some things you don't mention)

For part 2: you know (or can google) what a characteristic equation for a differential equation is. Can you confirm ?

For part 3: the frequency response is (amplitude of y) divided by (amplitude of h) as a function of ##\omega##. Clearly things become problematic at some value of ##\omega##. Something to fix that is attempted on page 2, so you have a long way to go after Section 1A.

The subject at hand is very interesting and extremely useful in many fields of science !

Thanks for the advice regarding posting. Well for the DE, I just proved it using a FBD, and I'm confident the actual DE is solid. I then asumed:

h(t) = F0cos(ωt)

ω ≡ Forcing frequency
ω0 ≡ Natural Frequency of the system
F0 ≡ Amplitude of the base excitation

I took the laplace transform of of each term, rearranged for Y(s) and then did the inverse transform to get y(t).

For part 2, correct me if I'm wrong, but I know normally the characteristic equation of a DE is when you arrange the DE in standard form and then use the coefficients ans polynomials to find the roots?
I've just been unable to figure out how to do it with a 2nd order non-homogeneous function like this one?

So with part 3, should I then be taking the Fourier transform of each term for my solution for y(t) and h(t), treating h(t) as an input and dividing the two? If so, how do I find the amplitude of each? Yes, I get that much, at resonance the transient part goes to infinity (ω=ω0).
I know is still have a bit to go, but I feel like if I can grasp this bit, it sort off repeats itself in the next parts? Thank you again.

Also, for the characteristic equation, even though it's non-homogeneous, is that just referring to the characteristic equation of the homogeneous variant when your finding the solution to the complimentary solution (DC)?

Also, in that case the homog soln is:

assuming y(t) = eλt:
y''(t) = λ2eλt

thus

λ2eλt + ω02eλt = 0

λ = ±iω0?

Part 1 is just fine. Part two too: yes, for the characteristic equation you look at the homogeneous equation (and indeed find ##\omega_0## as you did)

For part 3 you make use of the linearity of the equation: if f(t) is a solution of the homogeneous equation and g(t) one particular solution to the inhomogeneous equation, then f(t) + g(t) is a general solution to the equation + initial conditions. The initial conditions (your C1 and C2) can be applied to f(t) .

The g(t) that goes to infinity in the undamped case is not the transient part. That term will become clearer when you consider the damped case: it is the f(t) that is the transient response; the C1 and C2 are irrelevant for the long term. But in the undamped case the transient response isn't "transient" :smile:

Gotchya! Yea sorry I misspoke, and I realized after posting that the undamped condition is unbounded and will go to infinity without the dampener in the improved case. I'll have a further crack at it and post back afterwards.

BvU said:
Part 1 is just fine. Part two too: yes, for the characteristic equation you look at the homogeneous equation (and indeed find ##\omega_0## as you did)

For part 3 you make use of the linearity of the equation: if f(t) is a solution of the homogeneous equation and g(t) one particular solution to the inhomogeneous equation, then f(t) + g(t) is a general solution to the equation + initial conditions. The initial conditions (your C1 and C2) can be applied to f(t) .

The g(t) that goes to infinity in the undamped case is not the transient part. That term will become clearer when you consider the damped case: it is the f(t) that is the transient response; the C1 and C2 are irrelevant for the long term. But in the undamped case the transient response isn't "transient" :smile:
So this is what I got. Did both part 1 and 2 (See attached file), I am just unsure regarding Part 3 still?

Attachments

• Homework.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 278

Related to Base excitation of undamped Spring-mass system

What is base excitation in a spring-mass system?

Base excitation refers to the act of applying an external force or motion to the base, or bottom, of a spring-mass system. This can cause the system to vibrate or oscillate, depending on the characteristics of the system.

How is base excitation modeled in a spring-mass system?

Base excitation is typically modeled using a mathematical equation known as the equation of motion. This equation takes into account the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the external force applied to the base.

What is an undamped spring-mass system?

An undamped spring-mass system is a system in which there is no energy dissipation or damping present. This means that once the system is set into motion, it will continue to oscillate indefinitely without any decrease in amplitude.

What are the key parameters that affect the behavior of a base-excited spring-mass system?

The key parameters that affect the behavior of a base-excited spring-mass system are the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, the amplitude and frequency of the external force, and the initial conditions of the system (i.e. initial displacement and velocity).

What are the practical applications of studying base excitation in spring-mass systems?

The study of base excitation in spring-mass systems has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, seismology, and structural dynamics. It helps in understanding and predicting the behavior of structures subjected to external forces, and can be used to design structures that can withstand vibrations and oscillations. It also has applications in earthquake engineering, where understanding the response of buildings and structures to ground motion is crucial.