Barrel of fun - Friction force

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a person being held against the wall of a spinning barrel and how friction plays a role in keeping them in place. The question asks about the change in friction force when the angular speed is doubled and the answer is given as 4 times the original force. However, there is some confusion about the definition of frictional force and whether it is the maximum force or the actual force acting on the person. It is suggested that this could be a trick question.
vaio-911

Homework Statement

A barrel of fun consists of a large vertical
cylinder that spins about the vertical axis.
When it spins fast enough, any person inside
will be held up against the wall.

http://i.snag.gy/Wh1B9.jpg

Question:

If you double the angular speed (i.e., [itex]\omega _2=2\cdot \omega _1[/itex]) what is the new friction force [itex]f_2[/itex]?

Answer choices: [itex]2\cdot F_1,1/3,1/4,1/2,3,1.5,1/3.5,1,2.5,4[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]F_f=\mu_k\cdot F_N[/itex]

[itex]v=r\cdot \omega[/itex]

[itex]a_c=\dfrac{v^2}{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The frictional force is defined as [itex]F_f=\mu_k\cdot F_N[/itex].

The normal force of the object is the centripetal force that is pointing towards the center of the cylinder (perpendicular to surface).

Thus frictional force is

[itex]\begin{align*}F_f&=\mu_k\cdot (m\cdot a_c)\\&=\mu_k\cdot \left(m\cdot \dfrac{v^2}{r}\right)\\
&=\mu_k\cdot\left(m\cdot\dfrac{(r\cdot\omega)^2}{r}\right)
\end{align*}[/itex]

This means that [itex]\boxed{F_f\propto \omega^2}[/itex]

so [itex]F_2=4\cdot F_1[/itex], but when I submitted it, it said that I was wrong.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi vaio-911. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

vaio-911 said:
The frictional force is defined as [itex]F_f=\mu_k\cdot F_N[/itex].
I don't think it is, actually. I think that is the maximum frictional force before relative motion can occur. Isn't that so?

The actual frictional force to secure each person against gravity is their weight, and that doesn't change just because you spin them faster!

Maybe this is a trick questionhttp://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon5.gif Is your professor a barrel of fun? :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Barrel of fun - Friction force

1. What is friction force?

Friction force is the force that resists the relative motion or tendency of motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surface of objects and can be influenced by factors such as the type of surface, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

2. How is friction force measured?

Friction force is typically measured using a device called a friction force sensor. This sensor uses a spring and strain gauge to measure the amount of force required to overcome the friction between two surfaces. The unit of measurement for friction force is typically in Newtons (N).

3. What is the relationship between friction force and surface area?

The larger the surface area in contact between two objects, the greater the friction force will be. This is because a larger surface area means there are more microscopic irregularities in contact between the surfaces, leading to a greater resistance to motion.

4. How does the type of surface affect friction force?

The type of surface can greatly affect the amount of friction force present. Generally, rougher surfaces will have higher friction force than smoother surfaces, as there are more irregularities and therefore more resistance to motion. However, some materials have properties that reduce friction, such as Teflon which has a low coefficient of friction.

5. How does friction force impact everyday life?

Friction force plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It allows us to walk, drive and grip objects without slipping. It is also essential in machines and technology, where it can either be used to increase or decrease motion. For example, brake pads use friction force to slow down a vehicle, while lubricants reduce friction to make machines run more smoothly.