Barbara Ryden's Cosmology Book: Reviews & Opinions

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential purchase of Barbara Ryden's Cosmology book, along with some reviews and recommendations for other introductory texts at the upper undergraduate and beginning graduate level. One person has already read Ryden's book and provides a brief review, mentioning that it is more focused on mathematical concepts. The conversation also mentions a recently updated book by Carroll and Ostlie, which is considered one of the best general astrophysics textbooks.
Ratzinger
I want to buy Barbara Ryden's Cosmology book. Has someone read it already and could say a few things about it? On amazon it gets nice reviews but what do you think?

thanks

Space news on Phys.org
Suggestions for other introductory texts? (Upper undergraduate, beginning graduate level, i.e. not afraid of some GR)

thanks, chronon!

Last edited by a moderator:
matt.o said:
I just got an email from amazon about this book:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805304029/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Which I am thinking of getting as it looks very up to date, in fact I think it is the most up to date book out there! There is also a deal on Amazon to by this and Rydens book.
They finally rewrote the book!

Carroll and Ostlie is one of the better (if not best IMO) general astrophysics textbooks around. My mentor here at Los Alamos actually provided them with their solar data for the previous edition (which was actually how I wound up meeting her, long story).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Barbara Ryden's Cosmology Book: Reviews & Opinions

1. What is the overall rating of Barbara Ryden's Cosmology Book?

The overall rating of Barbara Ryden's Cosmology Book is highly positive. It has received numerous positive reviews and is considered a must-read for anyone interested in cosmology.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners?

While Barbara Ryden's Cosmology Book is a comprehensive guide, it may be challenging for beginners due to its advanced concepts and mathematical equations. However, it is a great resource for those with a basic understanding of cosmology.

3. Does this book cover recent developments in cosmology?

Yes, Barbara Ryden's Cosmology Book covers recent developments in cosmology, including updates on dark matter, dark energy, and the expanding universe. It also discusses the latest research and theories in the field.

4. Is the content of this book scientifically accurate?

Barbara Ryden's Cosmology Book is written by an experienced cosmologist and is considered a reliable source of information. However, as with any scientific text, it is important to keep in mind that theories and understandings in cosmology are constantly evolving and subject to change.

5. What sets this book apart from other cosmology books?

Barbara Ryden's Cosmology Book is known for its clear and concise writing style, making complex concepts easily understandable. It also includes helpful illustrations and diagrams to aid in comprehension. Additionally, it covers a wide range of topics and provides a comprehensive overview of the field of cosmology.