Banks, The Top 10^{500} Reasons Not to Believe in the Landscape

• Thread starter bcrowell
  • Start date
In summary, Banks believes that string theory is the only viable candidate for quantum gravity, but that there is a problem with the landscape. He also argues that AdS/CFT provides a non-perturbative definition of full quantum gravity, but that as yet it does not agree with observations.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Banks, "The Top 10^{500} Reasons Not to Believe in the Landscape"

Does anyone have any opinions about this paper? http://arxiv.org/abs/1208.5715 It's way over my head technically. The paper is relatively recent, but apparently Banks has been saying this for a while.

If I'm understanding correctly, some minority of string theorists, including Banks and Lubos Motl, don't believe in the landscape, or don't believe in the anthropic principle as a way of dealing with the issues it raises. What is not clear to me is how string theory can be viable if it's really some huge number of separate theories, which are computationally intractable to sort through and match up with observation (Denef and Douglas, http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0602072 ).

Physics news on Phys.org

I think there are 2 issues: the landscape and the anthropic principle. I think most believe in the landscape, but think the anthropic principle is too nebulous. Banks appears to believe in neither.

At the very least, string theory is the only known candidate for quantum gravity. So it provides an example of quantum gravity - just as Nordstrom's theory provided an example of relativistic gravity before GR. If string turns out to be in fact the correct theory, but there is a landscape, then the answer has to be too bad for us - we have to deal with it.

Last edited:

atyy said:
At the very least, string theory is the only known candidate for quantum gravity.

Loop quantum gravity?

bcrowell said:
Loop quantum gravity?

I should have said that reduces to GR and solves the renormalizability problem. LQG probably solves at least the UV finite part of the renormalizability problem, but isn't yet known to give nice geometries - although LQC does - but it's not a full theory of quantum gravity. Asymptotic Safety does reduce to GR, but I don't think the UV fixed point is proven. String theory in full is undefined, but there is AdS/CFT which provides a non-perturbative definition of full quantum gravity - it appears not to give cosmologies consistent with what we observe, so I would say the value of AdS/CFT so far is to tell us what quantum gravity could be like - just as Nordstrom's theory and its geometric reformulation by Fokker and Einstein was a valuable first relativistic theory of gravity that was inconsistent with observation.

There's an interesting comment on universality in AdS/CFT in McGreevy's notes:

"... for the plasma made from any CFT that has an Einstein gravity dual; the answer is always [itex]1/4\pi[/itex]. Each such CFT is what we usually think of as a universality class, since it will have some basin of attraction in the space of nearby QFT couplings. Here we are saying that a whole class of universality classes exhibits the same behavior. What’s special about these theories from the QFT point of view? Our understanding of this ‘bulk universality’ is obscured by our ignorance about quantum mechanics in the bulk. Physicists with what could be called a monovacuist inclination may say that what’s special about them is that they exist. The issue, however, arises for interactions in the bulk which are quite a bit less contentious than gravity, so this seems unlikely to me to be the answer."

He defines "Monovacuist (n): One who believes that a theory of quantum gravity should have a unique groundstate (in spite of the fact that we know many examples of much simpler systems which have many groundstates, and in spite of all the evidence to the contrary (e.g. [26, 27]))."

There's also ideas such as Acharya, Kane and Kumar's, which I think are agnostic to the landscape, but realize there's a problem with finding the right theory either way, and try to find generic predictions. "In recent years it has been realized that in string/M theories compactified to four dimensions which satisfy cosmological constraints, it is possible to make some generic predictions for particle physics and dark matter: a non-thermal cosmological history before primordial nucleosynthesis, a scale of supersymmetry breaking which is "high" as in gravity mediation, scalar superpartners too heavy to be produced at the LHC (although gluino production is expected in many cases), and a significant fraction of dark matter in the form of axions."

Last edited:

I wrote about it here.

mitchell porter said:
I wrote about it here.

Thanks, very helpful!

Related to Banks, The Top 10^{500} Reasons Not to Believe in the Landscape

1. What is the landscape in the context of this topic?

The landscape refers to the vast number of possible universes that are predicted by the string theory. These universes are believed to have different physical constants and laws of physics, leading to the argument that our universe may not be unique.

2. What are the top reasons for not believing in the landscape theory?

Some of the top reasons include the lack of evidence for the existence of these universes, the inability to test or observe these universes, and the lack of a clear explanation for why our universe has the specific set of physical constants and laws that it does.

3. What is the role of banks in this topic?

Banks refers to a mathematical concept known as "anthropic selection", which suggests that our universe may have been selected out of the landscape due to its ability to support the development of intelligent life. This concept has been met with much controversy and criticism in the scientific community.

4. Is the landscape theory widely accepted in the scientific community?

No, the landscape theory is highly debated and controversial in the scientific community. While some scientists support the idea, others argue that it is not a scientific theory at all and lacks empirical evidence.

5. How does the landscape theory impact our understanding of the universe and its origins?

The landscape theory challenges traditional ideas about the origin of the universe and raises questions about the role of chance versus design in the creation of our universe. It also highlights the limitations of our current understanding of the laws of physics and the need for further research and evidence to support any proposed theories.