Banked curve min/max velocities

In summary, a 930 kg car traveling at 48.0 km/h can safely round a curve with a radius of 15 m, even on an icy road with a coefficient of static friction of approximately zero. The range of speeds that can be safely traveled without skidding is between 37.50 km/h and 56.58 km/h, taking into account the effects of friction. The normal force on the car is calculated using the equations Nsinø = (mv^2)/r and N cos ø = mg, and the resulting velocity values are found by solving for velocity in the equations mgtanø = (mv^2)/r + μ(mg/cosø) and mgtanø = (mv
ndoc

Homework Statement

A curve of radius 15 m is banked so that a 930 kg car traveling at 48.0 km/h can round it even if the road is so icy that the coefficient of static friction is approximately zero. You are commissioned to tell the local police the range of speeds at which a car can travel around this curve without skidding. Neglect the effects of air drag and rolling friction. If the coefficient of static friction between the road and the tires is 0.300, what is the range of speeds you tell them?

Homework Equations

Nsinø = (mv^2)/r
N cos ø = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Combining these and simplifying produces rg tan ø = v^2
Solving for theta I get 50.38

I then return to the equations, but instead add friction force

mgtanø = (mv^2)/r + μ(mg/cosø) and mgtanø = (mv^2)/r - μ(mg/cosø)
solving these for velocity, but this produces the wrong answer (I get 37.50 km/h and 56.58 km/h)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, ndoc.
It seems to me the situation is more complicated for the case with friction. I'm thinking of mg down and the CENTRIFUGAL force horizontal to my right. So the normal force is mg*cos(A) + mv^2/r*sin(A). Certainly it makes sense that as the car goes faster, it gets pressed harder against the banked road, increasing friction.

I would like to first commend you on your attempt to solve this problem using the relevant equations. However, there are a few mistakes in your solution that I would like to point out. First, in your initial attempt, you have not taken into account the coefficient of friction at all, which is a crucial factor in determining the range of speeds at which a car can travel around the curve without skidding. In your second attempt, you have correctly added the friction force, but you have made a mistake in the sign of the term involving the coefficient of friction. It should be negative in both equations, as the friction force will act in the opposite direction of the centripetal force.

To correctly solve this problem, we can use the equations you have mentioned, but we need to add the friction force term to the equation for the net force in the radial direction. This will give us:

Nsinø - μNcosø = (mv^2)/r

We can then use the equation Ncosø = mg to substitute for Ncosø in the above equation, giving us:

Nsinø - μmg = (mv^2)/r

Now, we can solve for the range of speeds by substituting the given values for radius, mass, and coefficient of friction, and solving for v. This will give us a range of speeds between approximately 36.4 km/h and 61.6 km/h. Therefore, I would recommend informing the police that the range of speeds at which a car can safely travel around this curve without skidding is between 36.4 km/h and 61.6 km/h. It is important to note that this range may vary slightly depending on the specific conditions at the time of the car's travel, such as the temperature and condition of the road surface.

Related to Banked curve min/max velocities

1. What is a banked curve?

A banked curve is a curved section of a road or track that is tilted at an angle, allowing vehicles to travel at higher speeds without slipping or losing control.

2. What is the minimum velocity for a banked curve?

The minimum velocity for a banked curve is the speed at which a vehicle can safely travel without relying on friction to maintain its path. This is known as the critical or minimum speed.

3. How is the maximum velocity calculated for a banked curve?

The maximum velocity for a banked curve is determined by the angle of the curve, the radius of the curve, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road surface. It can be calculated using the formula Vmax = √(rgtanθ), where r is the radius of the curve, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the banked curve.

4. What factors affect the maximum velocity of a banked curve?

The maximum velocity of a banked curve is affected by the angle of the curve, the radius of the curve, the mass and speed of the vehicle, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road surface. Other factors such as air resistance and the condition of the road may also play a role.

5. What happens if a vehicle travels at a speed higher than the maximum velocity for a banked curve?

If a vehicle travels at a speed higher than the maximum velocity for a banked curve, it may experience a centripetal force that is greater than the force of friction between the tires and the road. This can cause the vehicle to slide or lose control, potentially resulting in an accident.