Banked Curve Impossible Problem

In summary: People playing on wet pavement will have a lot more trouble because the coefficient of static friction is higher.
physicsnobrain

Homework Statement

A curve of radius 67 m is banked for a design speed of 95 km/h. If the coefficient of
static friction is 0.30 (wet pavement), at what range of speeds can a car safely handle the
curve?

Homework Equations

2ngvr4m.png

I drew this freebody diagram.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue how to do this.

Anyways, on the range of speeds there is a minimum speed and a maximum speed.

For the minimum speed friction has act enough that the car doesn't slip off the hill? I think, again I have no ****ing clue.

For the maximum speed friction has to be enough so the car doesn't fly off the curve. I think

Anyways we probably have to solve for some angle, but I have no clue where or how this happens.

Fnet is not existent here?

anyways, All I have done is convert 95kmh to m/s which is 26.388m/s.

SO nobody knows how to solve this question? It is ranked as one of the world's hardest problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're over exaggerating the problem a bit.

Inclined edges add a force that keeps the car on its proper path as it circles a banked turn. This force is the horizontal component of the car’s normal force. It along with the static force of friction create the force required for centripetal acceleration and ensures the car does not fly off the ramp.

This article will be helpful to you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banked_turn

Zondrina said:
I think you're over exaggerating the problem a bit.

Inclined edges add a force that keeps the car on its proper path as it circles a banked turn. This force is the horizontal component of the car’s normal force. It along with the static force of friction create the force required for centripetal acceleration and ensures the car does not fly off the ramp.

This article will be helpful to you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banked_turn

Yea all those equations don't make no sense if you don't have the angle. Which they forgot to tell me in the question

physicsnobrain said:
Yea all those equations don't make no sense if you don't have the angle. Which they forgot to tell me in the question

Indeed, the question is flawed.

Zondrina said:
Indeed, the question is flawed.

unfortunately I still have to solve it so I don't get a zero. Thanks for the help anyways.

physicsnobrain said:
A curve of radius 67 m is banked for a design speed of 95 km/h. If the coefficient of
static friction is 0.30 (wet pavement), at what range of speeds can a car safely handle the
curve?

You can find the banking angle from the first sentence of the problem. It means that the cars ravelling with 95 km/h can do the curve even with zero friction. What is the angle then??

ehild

Related to Banked Curve Impossible Problem

1. What is the "Banked Curve Impossible Problem"?

The "Banked Curve Impossible Problem" is a physics problem that involves a car traveling on a banked curve at a certain speed and angle. The problem arises when the car is unable to make the turn, either because it slides off the track or because it experiences a force towards the outside of the curve.

2. What causes the "Banked Curve Impossible Problem"?

The "Banked Curve Impossible Problem" is caused by a combination of centripetal force and friction. The centripetal force is responsible for keeping the car on the curved path, while friction helps to prevent the car from slipping or sliding off the track. If the angle of the curve or the speed of the car is not properly balanced, the forces may become unbalanced, leading to the problem.

3. How can the "Banked Curve Impossible Problem" be solved?

The "Banked Curve Impossible Problem" can be solved by adjusting the angle of the curve and/or the speed of the car. The angle of the curve should be such that the centripetal force and the friction force are balanced, and the car is able to complete the turn without sliding or slipping. The speed of the car should also be adjusted accordingly, as a higher speed may require a steeper angle to balance the forces.

4. What are some real-life examples of the "Banked Curve Impossible Problem"?

The "Banked Curve Impossible Problem" can be seen in many real-life situations, such as a car making a turn on a banked race track, a rollercoaster going through a banked curve, or a motorcycle taking a turn on a banked road. It can also occur in sports, such as when a skier or snowboarder takes a turn on a banked slope.

5. How does the "Banked Curve Impossible Problem" relate to physics?

The "Banked Curve Impossible Problem" is a physics problem that can be solved using the principles of centripetal force, friction, and Newton's laws of motion. It illustrates the importance of understanding and balancing forces in order to achieve a desired outcome, and it is a common problem used in physics education to demonstrate these concepts.