Banked Curve Algebra With Static Friction

In summary, the problem involves a 2000 kg car racing around a banked circular path with a radius of curvature of 50.0m and a coefficient of static friction of 0.100. The question asks for the maximum possible speed for the car to remain on the road at an angle of 15°. The relevant equations are Fsmax = Us FN, FN = cos15mg, and Fc = mV^2/r. The solution involves finding the components of the normal force and static friction that point towards the center of the circle, adding them to get the centripetal force, and using Fc = mv^2/r to solve for velocity. However, the normal force in this case is not (
Extremist223

Homework Statement

9. A 2000 kg car is racing around a banked circular path whose radius of curvature is 50.0m. The coefficient of static friction between the car and the road is 0.100. What is the maximum possible speed for the car to remain on the road if the angle of the curve is 15°?

a) 45.7 km/h
b) 49.0 km/h
c) 60.0 km/h
d) 130 km/h
e) 197 km/h

Homework Equations

Fsmax = Us FN
FN = cos15mg
Fc = mV^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Once again stuck on another problem. From what I see, there is a component of the normal force that points towards the center of the radius as well as a component of the static friction that points towards the center of the circle. These two values added should give me the centripetal force, if I am right. Assuming this is true this is what I have tried.

sin15(cos15)mg= X component normal force pointing towards center
Us(cos15mg)(cos15)= x component of FsMax that points towards center

sin15(cos15)mg + Us(cos15mg)(cos15) = Fc
Fc=mv^2/r
divide the equation by mass
sin15(cos15)g + Us(cos15g)(cos15) = v^2/r
multiply the left side by r and root for velocity
Root([(sin15)(cos15)g + Us(cos15g)(cos15)]r) = v
v = 12.96m/s

What am I missing here? I have a midterm tomorrow please answer as soon as you can thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The normal force is (mg)cosθ only if the acceleration is parallel to the incline. In general, the normal force is what is necessary to provide the observed acceleration. Redo your free body diagram to find what the normal force is in this case.

Last edited:

I would first like to commend you on your attempt at solving this problem using the appropriate equations and understanding the components involved. However, I would like to point out a few things that may help you arrive at the correct answer.

Firstly, when calculating the normal force, it is important to remember that it is equal to the component of the car's weight perpendicular to the surface, which in this case is cos15mg. This means that the normal force will be equal to the weight of the car in this situation.

Secondly, when calculating the maximum static friction force, it is important to remember that it is equal to the coefficient of static friction (0.100) multiplied by the normal force. So in this case, it would be (0.100)(cos15mg).

Now, when adding these two components together to find the total centripetal force, it is important to remember that the normal force and the static friction force are acting in opposite directions, so they should be subtracted instead of added.

Therefore, the correct equation would be:

Fc = (mv^2)/r = (cos15mg)sin15 - (0.100)(cos15mg)cos15

Solving for v, we get v = 49.0 km/h, which is option b.

I hope this helps and good luck on your midterm! Remember to always double check your equations and make sure you are using the correct components for each force involved.

Related to Banked Curve Algebra With Static Friction

1. What is banked curve algebra with static friction?

Banked curve algebra with static friction is a mathematical model used to analyze the forces acting on an object as it travels around a banked curve with the presence of friction. It takes into account the angle of the bank, the coefficient of friction, and the velocity of the object to determine the necessary centripetal force for the object to stay on the curved path.

2. How is banked curve algebra with static friction different from regular banked curve equations?

Regular banked curve equations do not take into account the effects of friction, while banked curve algebra with static friction does. This added factor allows for a more accurate calculation of the necessary centripetal force, as friction can significantly impact the motion of an object on a banked curve.

3. How is the angle of the banked curve related to the coefficient of friction in this model?

The angle of the banked curve and the coefficient of friction are directly related in this model. As the angle of the banked curve increases, the necessary coefficient of friction decreases. This is because a steeper banked curve allows for a greater component of the object's weight to act as the centripetal force, reducing the amount of friction needed.

4. Can banked curve algebra with static friction be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, banked curve algebra with static friction can be applied to real-life situations. It is commonly used in designing and analyzing racetracks, roller coasters, and other curved paths where friction plays a significant role in the motion of an object.

5. Are there any limitations to banked curve algebra with static friction?

One limitation of this model is that it assumes that the surface of the banked curve is perfectly smooth and uniform, which may not always be the case in real-life scenarios. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors such as air resistance or the shape of the object, which may also affect the motion on a banked curve.