Banked Car Please helpDue at 11 and I can't figure it out

• Thread starter falco451
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Figure
In summary, a banked car is a vehicle stored or parked at a bank for safekeeping, typically belonging to a customer with a loan or account. The length of time a car can be banked for varies depending on the bank's policies and agreement with the customer. Benefits of banking a car include secure storage and protection from theft or damage. Only bank customers or those with a loan or account are typically allowed to bank their cars, and there may be fees associated with the service. It is important to check with the bank beforehand to avoid unexpected charges.
falco451

Homework Statement

1) Suppose the friction force is sufficient to keep the car from skidding. Calculate the magnitude of the normal force exerted on the car by the road's surface

2) Calc the magnitude of Friction Force

3) What's the lowest possible value of the static friction coefficient?

Homework Equations

The diagram looks like this, but with different numbers
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/4331/bankrz7.jpg

velocity = 22 m/s
radius = 23 m
mass = 2400 kg
Degree incline = 35

Net centripetal force = 50,504,35 N

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I broke it up into components but have no idea how to solve and get N.

Fx = Nsin(theta) + Fr cos (theta) (Fr = force of Friction)
Fy = Ncos (theta) - Frsin (Theta)

2) I need 1 to solve for this, but I was just going to plug back into one of the above equations and solve

3) Fr = muN
But I need N from 1 and Fr from 2

Help is much appreciated! It's due at 11 and I've trying all day. THANK YOU

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

To calculate the normal force exerted on the car by the road's surface, we can use the equation Fy = Ncos(theta) - Frsin(theta). In this case, we know the value of Fy, which is equal to the net centripetal force of 50,504.35 N. We also know the value of theta, which is the angle of incline of 35 degrees. However, we still need to find the value of Fr, which is the force of friction.

To calculate the force of friction, we can use the equation Fr = muN. In this case, mu represents the coefficient of static friction, which is the lowest possible value that is being asked for in part 3 of the problem. We can also substitute the value of N that we calculated in part 1 into this equation.

So, to solve for mu, we can rearrange the equation as mu = Fr/N. Then, we can substitute the value of Fr that we found in part 2 and the value of N that we calculated in part 1 to get the value of mu.

I hope this helps you solve the problem. Good luck!

Related to Banked Car Please helpDue at 11 and I can't figure it out

1. What is a banked car?

A banked car is a vehicle that has been stored or parked at a bank for safekeeping. It typically belongs to a customer who has taken out a loan or has an account with the bank.

2. How long can a car be banked for?

The length of time a car can be banked for varies depending on the bank's policies and the agreement between the bank and the customer. Some banks may only allow cars to be banked for a few days, while others may allow for longer periods of time.

3. What are the benefits of banking a car?

Banking a car can provide a secure and convenient way to store a vehicle for a short period of time. It can also help protect the car from theft, damage, or vandalism. Additionally, some banks may offer discounted rates or other benefits for customers who bank their cars.

4. Can anyone bank their car at a bank?

No, typically only customers of the bank or those with a loan or account with the bank are allowed to bank their cars. Some banks may also have specific requirements or restrictions for banking a car, so it is best to check with the bank beforehand.

5. Are there any fees associated with banking a car?

Yes, there may be fees associated with banking a car. These fees can vary depending on the bank and the length of time the car is banked. It is important to inquire about any fees before banking a car to avoid any unexpected charges.