Bandpass filter design - wideband

In summary, the design of a bandpass filter with a BW of 50MHz requires a frequency transformation method with a centre frequency of 2GHz. The design is complicated by the presence of gain fluctuations in the pass band and the need for a 50 ohm source.
deki
I'm trying to design a bandpass filter with a BW of 50MHz in LTSpice, however my simulations aren't coming out as I'd like. I'm using the frequency transformation method, with a centre frequency of 2GHz., fractional BW 2.5%. I'd like a wider passband, however I can't seem to get away from the following type of response (images attached):
2.jpg

And the circuit:
1.jpg

Any ideas on how to approach this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
How did you come up with that circuit?

You probably need a 50 ohm source also.

http://www.electronicproducts.com/Bandpass_Filter_Design_Calculator.aspx

You are intending to build this, or is this a paper exercise?

There is the possibility of building it, though it's not confirmed. As of now I removed the second resonator, so it's a 3rd order filter instead of the 4th order I begun with. It has helped, but my passband isn't as flat as I'd like.

I'm having trouble with the posted response curve. The region of interest seems to be the pass band, but there looks to be only two data points near there. Is it possible to get a closer picture of the pass band?

Also, what don't you like about it? Is it just gain fluctuations in the pass band you object to, or do other concerns come into play like the group delay?

Are you wedded to the Caur topology? There are some nice distributed element filters that start to work around that frequency.

BTW, I'm no filter guru, so don't expect answers from me. Just questions.

I've managed to alter it closer towards what I want. I want a more flat passband, though I'm still getting these ripples even though my frequency transformations didn't account for them (I'm using the freq transformation technique to get the BPF). And if possible to get it to resemble more of an ideal BPF with steeper roll off. Or would I have to go into the microstrip realm?
Untitled.jpg

Using discrete Ls and Cs at 2GHz is impractical, are you planning to transform your schematic into a stripline filter?

Am I wrong about the need to drive it from a 50 ohm source?

meBigGuy said:
Am I wrong about the need to drive it from a 50 ohm source?

No, you were right.

Looks like OP included source term in post #6 with Rser card.

As I understand it, filter design is about trade offs. It's possible to build a flatter pass band, but at the cost of less roll off -- for an equal number of poles.

Also, there's something wrong with your simulation. You have actual gain in that bump at the top of your pass band. That should never happen in a passive network. Something about perpetual motion I think.

For a flat passband and - at the same time - a relatively large bandwidth it is best to use a series connection of a highpass (lower corner) and a lowpass (higher corner) . The roll-off characteristic is determined by the filter order of both sections. To avoid loading errors both sections should be isolated with a buffer amplifier in between.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury

Related to Bandpass filter design - wideband

What is a bandpass filter?

A bandpass filter is an electronic circuit that allows a specific range of frequencies to pass through while attenuating or blocking all other frequencies. It is typically used to isolate a specific frequency or range of frequencies from a wider spectrum of signals.

What is the purpose of a wideband bandpass filter?

A wideband bandpass filter is designed to allow a larger range of frequencies to pass through, as compared to a narrowband filter. This is useful for applications that require a wider range of frequencies, such as in communication systems or audio equipment.

What factors should be considered when designing a wideband bandpass filter?

Some important factors to consider when designing a wideband bandpass filter include the desired frequency range, the shape and steepness of the filter's passband and stopband, the insertion loss, and the group delay. Additionally, the type of filter topology and the components used will also impact the design and performance of the filter.

What are the common types of wideband bandpass filters?

There are several types of bandpass filters, including the Butterworth, Chebyshev, and Elliptic filters. These filters differ in their frequency response and characteristics, such as ripple in the passband and stopband, and steepness of the transition between the two. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice will depend on the specific application and design requirements.

How can I design a wideband bandpass filter?

The design of a wideband bandpass filter typically involves using software tools, such as MATLAB or SPICE, to simulate and optimize the filter's performance. The design process also involves selecting the appropriate filter topology and components, as well as tuning the parameters to achieve the desired frequency response. Alternatively, there are also online tools and calculators available that can assist with the design process.