Band structure and diffraction intensity

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between diffraction intensity and a sample's band structure. Some theories are presented, including the use of diffraction patterns and the Patterson function, but the conversation ultimately concludes that the term "diffraction" may not be applicable in this situation and that scattering and fluorescence may be more relevant concepts. The possible role of electronic bands is also mentioned, but no definitive conclusion is reached.
Talker1500
Hello,

Is there an established relationship between the diffraction intensity that a sample produces with its band structure?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Talker1500 said:
Hello,

Is there an established relationship between the diffraction intensity that a sample produces with its band structure?

Thanks

I can't see why there should be, since diffraction probes the crystal structure, while the band structure is a property of the electronic energy-momentum states/bands. Off the top of my head, the diffraction intensity is more tied to the form factor.

Zz.

The diffraction intensity is determined by the Patterson function which is the autocorrelation function of charge density. Obviously charge density can be expressed in terms of the band occupation.

DrDu said:
The diffraction intensity is determined by the Patterson function which is the autocorrelation function of charge density. Obviously charge density can be expressed in terms of the band occupation.

Thanks for the answer, could you explain that a little? I'm not referring to diffraction patterns, but diffraction intensity, i.e., if I use a microscope to observe a sample, the intensity of the image I see due to diffracted light will depend on the band structure?

Last edited:
Looks like ZapperZ was talking about neutron diffraction, and DrDu about x-ray diffraction.

What kind of diffraction are you talking about? Visible light? That would depend on the index of refraction and the geometrical shape of your diffracting object. The band structure would affect the real and imaginary (absorption) parts of the index of refraction.

I'm referring to visible light diffraction. The sample I'm using is 2D, it's in a slide, and the sample itself is 2D, it's a layer of silicon atoms.

Talker1500 said:
I'm referring to visible light diffraction. The sample I'm using is 2D, it's in a slide, and the sample itself is 2D, it's a layer of silicon atoms.

OK, now I'm confused.

What experimental technique are you using here? Visible light has wavelengths of the order of 100's of nm. The lattice constant of a typical material is of the order of 10's of Angstrom. Not only are you not able to get any kind of structural info with that kind of a light source, I'm not sure you can get at the band structure either. Phonon modes via optical diagnostics, maybe, but that is an optical transmission/reflection experiment, not "diffraction".

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
OK, now I'm confused.

What experimental technique are you using here? Visible light has wavelengths of the order of 100's of nm. The lattice constant of a typical material is of the order of 10's of Angstrom. Not only are you not able to get any kind of structural info with that kind of a light source, I'm not sure you can get at the band structure either. Phonon modes via optical diagnostics, maybe, but that is an optical transmission/reflection experiment, not "diffraction".

Zz.

I'm just using standard optical microscopy in dark field mode. I know I cannot get structure info with this kind of light, but I can't explain the intensity I'm seeing, so I'm looking into more exotic explanations.

Talker1500 said:
I'm just using standard optical microscopy in dark field mode. I know I cannot get structure info with this kind of light, but I can't explain the intensity I'm seeing, so I'm looking into more exotic explanations.

I think that in this case "diffraction" is probably the wrong term to use. Diffraction implies coherent scattering from a regular, periodic structure (or at least a structure with a prominent Fourier component, Quasicrystals diffract very nicely).

In your case, you are looking at scattered light. That can be reflected off a surface, refracted by volumes with oblique surfaces, or diffracted by periodic structures like gratings.

Reflection and refraction depend on the index of refraction of the material. In general, this is wavelength dependent and complex, i.e. direction and amplitude of the refracted light depend on the wavelength. This wavelength dependence is determined by the electronic structure of the material, e.g. the band gap. AFAIK, however, calculating the index of refraction from the band structure and optical phonon energies is not straight forward.

I am not sure this is of any help...

You're right, I should have said scattering instead of diffraction. The thing is, in dark field, I can only see the light scattered by the edges of the sample, the light diffracted and reflected by the volume is blocked before arriving to the condenser. So basically, I'm wondering why I'm able to see at all my sample, when it's only a 2D array of atoms and the light only scatters with the edges, with such a thin sample I should not be able to see it. I thought that maybe some resonance was coming into play.

In dark field imaging you block out all rays that are in line with the source.
You only see light that is scattered by a certain minimum angle. Beyond that,
the (secondary) source of the observed light is not restricted.

This source could be scattering off edges, but also (isotropic) fluorescence
or whatever other scattering.

It may well be that usually refracted light is not observed because the angle wrt the
incident beam is too small and the refracted light gets blocked.

M Quack said:
In dark field imaging you block out all rays that are in line with the source.
You only see light that is scattered by a certain minimum angle. Beyond that,
the (secondary) source of the observed light is not restricted.

This source could be scattering off edges, but also (isotropic) fluorescence
or whatever other scattering.

It may well be that usually refracted light is not observed because the angle wrt the
incident beam is too small and the refracted light gets blocked.

At the beginning I thought that the edges of the sample interacted with the incoming photon waves and affected the interference patterns, creating some kind of boost effect, but I wasn't sure this was the correct approach, that's why I started to think that maybe the electronic bands played an important role in this and then I opened this thread asking for guidance. Maybe the first approach is more accurate.

Related to Band structure and diffraction intensity

1. What is band structure and how does it relate to diffraction intensity?

Band structure is a term used in physics to describe the energy levels of electrons in a solid material. It is related to diffraction intensity because the arrangement of energy levels in a material determines how it will interact with light, including how much of the light will be diffracted or scattered.

2. How is band structure determined for a specific material?

Band structure is determined through a process called band structure calculation, which involves using mathematical models and experimental data to map out the energy levels of electrons in a material. This information can also be obtained through techniques such as X-ray diffraction.

3. What factors can affect the band structure of a material?

The band structure of a material can be affected by a variety of factors including the composition of the material, its crystal structure, and external influences such as temperature and pressure. Additionally, defects or impurities in the material can also impact the band structure.

4. How does diffraction intensity change as a function of band structure?

The diffraction intensity of a material can vary depending on its band structure. For example, materials with a more complex band structure may exhibit more intense diffraction patterns, while materials with a simpler band structure may produce weaker diffraction signals.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding band structure and diffraction intensity?

Understanding band structure and diffraction intensity is crucial in many fields, including materials science, solid state physics, and engineering. It is used to study the properties of materials, design new materials with specific characteristics, and improve the performance of electronic devices such as solar cells and transistors.