Balls fired up in air, find their speeds

• Thread starter physics120
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Balls
In summary: And if you are still stuck:h = Vi²sin²θ/2gIn summary, three balls of equal masses are fired with equal speeds, with one being fired at an angle of 45 degrees, one at 60 degrees, and one straight up at 90 degrees. When they cross a horizontal line a couple meters away, the speed ranking from largest to smallest is Vc, Vb, and Va. This is due to the fact that the ball fired straight up has the greatest vertical component of its initial velocity, leading to the highest potential energy and therefore the greatest kinetic energy and speed at any fixed point below. This can be proven using the conservation of energy law and the equation v = √(2gh).
physics120

Homework Statement

Three balls which have equal masses are fired with equal speeds. One ball is fired up at an angle of 45 degrees, the other is fired up at an angle of 60 degrees, and the third ball is fired straight up at an angle of 90 degrees from the horizontal surface. Rank in order, from largest to smallest, their speeds Va, Vb, and Vc as they cross a dashed horizontal line approximately a couple meters away from the balls. Explain. (All three are fired with sufficient speed to reach the line.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that Va=Vb=Vc because free fall, which is what they seem to be in, only depends on the vertical velocity, and since this is the same for all three speeds, as they differ only with their horizontal velocities, and also since they have the same free fall acceleration (9.8 m/s^2) they will reach the horizontal line with the same speed. The reason why I think I am not getting this right, is because this question is taken out from the energy chapter (chapter 10) and I did not use the energy laws to figure this out.

Any help?!

Thank-you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The key is not the Vo, but the vertical component of Vo.

Which goes the highest?

I would assume ball Vc would go the highest because it is shot straight up.

you are right the one being shot up would have the greatest Vy

Vya = sin(45)*v

Vyb = sin(60)*v

Vyc = V

What happens if the angle is 0?
There is no Vy but rather there is only Vx

physics120 said:
I would assume ball Vc would go the highest because it is shot straight up.

If it goes the highest, then it has the most vertical potential energy at its height relative to the point of interest.

What will that mean when each of them falls through that point?

Oh I see now how this question is about energy!

So would it be: Vc>Vb>Va ?

That is, the ball that is shot at an angle of 90 degrees from the horizontal has the highest speed, then the ball that is shot at an angle of 60 degrees from the horizontal and lastly the ball that is shot at an angle of 45 degrees will have the lowest speed as they cross the dashed horizontal line approximately a couple meters away from the balls.

where Vf= final velocity
Yf= final vertical distance

(because Kf + Ugf = Ki + Ugi
0.5mVf^2 + mgYf =0.5mVi^2 +0
Vf^2 = (0.5mVi^2 - mgYf)/(0.5m)
the masses cancel:
Vf^2 = (Vi^2 - 2gYf)

For ball 1 shot at 45 degrees:
Vf^2 = (Vi^2 - 2(9.8)(______))

HMMM I am stuck again. I am now trying to solve this numerically, and I am stuck as to what Yf should be. Will it be Vfsin45? Or Visin45? Or what? If it is Vfsin45, how would I compute the final velocity? Would I use the quadratic formula to solve for the final velocity, as their would be a Vf ^2 and a Vf in the quadratic equation (Vf^2 + 2(9.8)sin45Vf -Vi^2)?

PLease help! my assignment is due tomorrow (Friday)!

physics120 said:
Oh I see now how this question is about energy!

So would it be: Vc>Vb>Va ?

PLease help! my assignment is due tomorrow (Friday)!

Yes that's right. But what's to calculate? The greater the height, the greater the potential energy that becomes kinetic energy at the same height on the way down and that means speed.

But how do I prove ball c has the greatest height? I am trying to show that it will have the greatest speed so I can't say it will have the greatest height because it has the greatest speed, as that is what I am trying to prove.

Also, "Yes that's right. But what's to calculate? The greater the height, the greater the potential energy that becomes kinetic energy at the same height on the way down and that means speed."

They are asking about the speed when the balls cross the dashed horizontal line. This is all before they start going down. I think I should have been more clear with that.

Which one goes the highest?

That has the greatest potential energy with respect to any fixed lower height. Greater potential energy converted to kinetic means greater speed.

But how do I prove ball c goes the highest? Is it because it has a greater final velocity since, as aznforlife pointed out,

"you are right the one being shot up would have the greatest Vy

Vya = sin(45)*v

Vyb = sin(60)*v

Vyc = V"

So if it has a greater final velocity, it will have a greater height?

The thing is though, I am trying to show that ball c will have the greatest speed when the balls cross the dashed horizontal line USING THE ENERGY OF CONSERVATION LAW.

thank-you!

Don't be so resistant to the notion that

mgh = ½mv²

or

v = √(2gh)

So the bigger the h at rest for max height, then the bigger the speed at any fixed point below.

Related to Balls fired up in air, find their speeds

1. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a ball fired up in the air?

The initial velocity of a ball fired up in the air can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height at which the ball was fired.

2. Does the mass of the ball affect its speed when fired up in the air?

Yes, the mass of the ball does affect its speed when fired up in the air. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, a lighter ball will have a higher speed compared to a heavier ball when fired up in the air with the same initial force.

3. How does air resistance affect the speed of a ball fired up in the air?

Air resistance, also known as drag, will slow down the speed of a ball fired up in the air. This is because as the ball moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to air molecules colliding with it. The greater the air resistance, the more it will slow down the ball's speed.

4. Can the angle at which a ball is fired affect its speed in the air?

Yes, the angle at which a ball is fired can affect its speed in the air. The optimal angle for maximum distance and speed is 45 degrees. If the angle is increased or decreased from this, the speed of the ball will decrease.

5. How does the height at which a ball is fired affect its speed?

The height at which a ball is fired does not affect its speed. The speed of the ball when it leaves the ground will be the same regardless of the height from which it was fired. However, the height will affect the time it takes for the ball to reach the ground and its trajectory.