Balls exerting gravitational force on eachother

In summary, two balls with a mass of 0.790 kg each exert a gravitational force of 8.39 x 10^-11 N on each other. Using the equation F = (G * m1 * m2) / r² and the universal gravitational constant of 6.673 x 10^-11 N m^2/kg^2, the distance between the balls is calculated to be 1.42 m. However, this answer may be incorrect and it is advised to double check the calculation by properly isolating r².
Axl Rose

Homework Statement

Two balls, each with a mass of 0.790 kg, exert a gravitational force of 8.39 x 10^-11 N on each other. How far apart are the balls? The value of the universal gravitational constant is 6.673 x 10^-11 N m^2/kg^2. Answer in units of m.

Homework Equations

F = (G * m1 * m2) / r²

The Attempt at a Solution

8.39 * 10^-11 = (6.673 * 10^-11 * 0.79 * 0.79) / r²
r² = 2.0145899
r = 1.42m

The physics program that I am using says 1.42 m is incorrect. I have checked my work, but I still get 1.42 m. Help?

edit: Sorry, I messed up the topic title :(

Physics news on Phys.org

r² = 2.0145899
This isn't quite right. You haven't isolated r2 properly. What you have here is really 1/r2. You need to flip it so you are solving for r2.

I would first double check my calculations and make sure that I am using the correct equations and values. If I am still getting the same answer, I would consider the possibility of rounding errors or significant figures. It is important to use the appropriate number of significant figures in calculations to ensure accuracy.

I would also consider the possibility of a mistake in the physics program or a discrepancy in the values used. In this case, I would consult other sources or experts in the field to confirm the correct answer.

In addition, I would also consider the context of the problem and whether the answer makes sense. For example, the distance between the two balls should be larger than the size of the balls themselves, so if the answer is significantly smaller than that, it may indicate an error in the calculation or values used.

Overall, as a scientist, it is important to carefully analyze the problem and approach it with a critical and logical mindset to ensure accuracy and reliability in the results.

Related to Balls exerting gravitational force on eachother

1. How do balls exert gravitational force on each other?

The force of gravity is a natural phenomenon that occurs between any two objects with mass. The strength of this force is directly proportional to the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force between two balls?

The formula for calculating the gravitational force between two objects is F = G * (m1 * m2) / d^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

3. Do all balls exert the same amount of gravitational force on each other?

No, the amount of gravitational force between two balls depends on their masses and the distance between them. Objects with larger masses will exert a stronger gravitational force than objects with smaller masses.

4. Can the gravitational force between two balls be affected by other factors?

Yes, the gravitational force between two balls can be affected by factors such as the presence of other objects or the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects.

5. Is there a limit to the distance at which two balls can exert gravitational force on each other?

No, the force of gravity between two objects extends infinitely, although it becomes weaker as the distance between them increases. However, at very large distances, the force becomes negligible.