Balloon deformation - calculating effect on surface points

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in calculating the force on a surface point of a deformed balloon and the use of a simulation program in C++ to model physics systems. The question of whether it is possible to simulate a balloon with internal pressure in 2 dimensions is raised, and the necessary variables for such a simulation are listed. The method for calculating the force on the surface points, as well as the origin and calculation of the center of pressure, are also discussed. The speaker seeks input and clarification on their questions.
ocitalis
I am befuddled over how to calculate the force acting on a surface point of a deformed balloon (filled with water or air). I have drawn a picture to help illustrate. I have written a small program in c++ that uses the Runge-Kutta algorithm to simulate simple physics systems, like networks of interconnected springs connecting point masses, in 2 dimensions. My simulation does not incorporate gravity.

I want to be able to simulate things like multiple balloons of varying internal pressures packed together in a 2d box. Or a squeezed water balloon that is instantly released and rises back into it's natural circular shape.

1.) Does it even make sense to attempt to simulate an object with internal pressure (balloon) in 2 dimensions, or are 3 dimensions absolutely required?
Assume that I can calculate the internal area of each balloon, the internal pressure, distance from the balloon's center, and all other necessary variables.
2.) How do I calculate the force exerted on the surface points pointed to by red arrows in the picture?
3.) Does the force exerted on the surface points originate from the center of pressure of the balloon? Is this center calculated like calculating the centroid of a solid polygon?

Attachments

• balloon.jpg
    balloon.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 558
Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone have any input? Is the question unclear? Replies are greatly appreciated.

1.) It is possible to simulate an object with internal pressure in 2 dimensions, but it may not accurately reflect the behavior of a real balloon in 3 dimensions. In 2 dimensions, the balloon would essentially be a flat surface, whereas in 3 dimensions it would have a spherical shape. However, if your simulation accurately incorporates the internal pressure and other variables, it may still provide useful insights and predictions.

2.) To calculate the force exerted on the surface points, you will need to consider the pressure differential across the surface. This can be calculated using the internal pressure and the surface area of the balloon. The force can then be calculated using the formula F = PA, where P is the pressure and A is the surface area. This force will be directed perpendicular to the surface at each point.

3.) The force exerted on the surface points does originate from the center of pressure of the balloon. This can be calculated using the centroid of the surface area, similar to calculating the centroid of a solid polygon. The center of pressure is the point at which the total force acting on the surface is considered to act. However, in a complex system with multiple balloons and varying internal pressures, the center of pressure may shift and change as the system evolves.

Related to Balloon deformation - calculating effect on surface points

1. What is balloon deformation?

Balloon deformation refers to the changes in shape and size of a balloon when it is inflated or deflated. This can occur due to changes in pressure, material properties, or external forces.

2. How is balloon deformation calculated?

The calculation of balloon deformation involves using mathematical equations and physical principles such as elasticity, pressure, and surface tension. This can be done through computer simulations or experimental testing.

3. What is the effect of balloon deformation on surface points?

The effect of balloon deformation on surface points depends on various factors such as the material properties of the balloon, the amount of inflation, and the external forces acting on the balloon. However, in general, it can cause changes in the curvature, position, and orientation of the surface points.

4. Can balloon deformation be predicted accurately?

While balloon deformation can be predicted to a certain extent, it is difficult to predict it with complete accuracy due to the complex nature of the phenomenon. Factors such as material properties, inflation rate, and external forces can all affect the deformation and make it challenging to accurately predict.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying balloon deformation?

Studying balloon deformation has various real-world applications, such as in the design and testing of inflatable structures, airbags, and medical devices. It can also be used in industries such as aerospace, where understanding the behavior of inflated structures is crucial for their safe and efficient operation.