Ballistic Pendulum Experiment: Determining Muzzle Velocity and Projected Height

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the most reasonable muzzle velocity for a ball bearing given its mass, the mass of the combination it is a part of, the length of the pendulum it is attached to, and the angle of the pendulum. The calculated muzzle velocity is 1.247 m/s^2. The second part of the question involves determining the expected height the bearing would reach if fired straight upwards to verify the calculated muzzle velocity. The solution involves using projectile motion and kinematics or conservation of energy.
schreibers
Calculate the most reasonable muzzle velocity of the ball bearing given:

Mass of Bearing = .033kg
Mass of the Combination = .064kg
Length of Pendulum = .235m
Theta = 24 degrees

I was able to solve that and get Vmuzzle = 1.247 m/s^2

The second part of the question is what I'm having trouble with.

If we were to devise an experiment to check that the above muzzle velocity is correct by firing the bearing straight upwards, what height would you expect the bearing to reach (most reasonable)?

I'm pretty sure I can figure this out once I get a starting point. We covered this section in lab before lecture and I wasn't able to find a similar example looking ahead in the book to base a solution on.

Thanks!

Jason

Physics news on Phys.org
The second part is a projectile motion problem. What's the initial velocity? The acceleration? Use kinematics. (You can also use conservation of energy, if you like.

Got it! Thanks Doc!

Related to Ballistic Pendulum Experiment: Determining Muzzle Velocity and Projected Height

1. What is a ballistic pendulum?

A ballistic pendulum is a device used to measure the velocity of a projectile by capturing it in a pendulum and analyzing its motion. It consists of a pendulum suspended from a fixed point and a catch mechanism to capture the projectile.

2. How does a ballistic pendulum work?

When a projectile, such as a bullet, hits the catch mechanism of a ballistic pendulum, it gets stuck in the pendulum. The pendulum then swings to a maximum height, which can be measured to determine the projectile's velocity. This is based on the conservation of momentum and energy principles.

3. What are the applications of a ballistic pendulum?

Ballistic pendulums are commonly used in forensic science to determine the velocity of a bullet fired from a gun. They are also used in physics experiments to study projectile motion and conservation of energy and momentum.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a ballistic pendulum?

The accuracy of a ballistic pendulum can be affected by factors such as the weight and velocity of the projectile, the mass and length of the pendulum, and any external forces that may act on the pendulum, such as air resistance or friction.

5. How can the accuracy of a ballistic pendulum be improved?

The accuracy of a ballistic pendulum can be improved by using a heavier pendulum, reducing the effects of air resistance, and using multiple trials to calculate an average value. Additionally, using more precise measuring tools and techniques can also improve the accuracy of the results.