Ballentine on Diffraction Scattering

In summary, the discussion in Chapter 5.4b of Ballentine revolves around the analysis of a particle scattering off of a periodic array. The main goal is to find an eigenstate that respects the boundary conditions and is incident from a source. Bloch's Theorem is used to establish that every solution can be written in the form of a Bloch wave. The issue arises when Ballentine claims that the solution must be of the same form as the Bloch wave, which is not fully proven. He may be using additional information to exclude other possibilities. Ultimately, the solution must meet the boundary condition and satisfy the energy constraint, leading to a subset of eigenstates that resemble Blo
EE18
In Chapter 5.4b of Ballentine, a discussion ensues about the analysis of a particle scattering off of a (Bravais lattice) periodic array. I attach pictures here of the full discussion in case anyone wants/needs to refer to it, but I am particularly baffled by the discussion on page 135. In particular, my understanding is as follows:

(1) As a general goal, we are looking for an eigenstate (i.e. solution to (5.24) -- what Ballentine often refers to as a "physical solution") which respects the boundary condition that it is incident from some source which we capture vaguely based on the ultimate ##e^{i\textbf{k} \cdot \textbf{x}}## in (5.27) which is to be discussed.

(2) We employ Bloch's Theorem which tells us that it is possible to pick an eigenbasis of the Hamiltonian (i.e. of (5.24)) in which every solution is of the form (5.26). That it is possible is important -- it does not, in particular, follow that every eigenstate obeying (5.24) is of the form (5.26).

(3) My issue is with why Ballentine says, at the bottom of 135, that (5.27) must be of the form (5.26). Why!? I'm satisfied with the paragraph above (5.27) where we argue that we need only one eigenstate of the form (5.26) to account for the first term in (5.27), but why should we in general say that that one eigenstate (for the given ##\textbf{q}=\textbf{k}_{xy}## is then sufficient to account for all the other terms in (5.27)? That doesn't seem to have been established at all, and I could imagine that there would be other ##\textbf{q}## in the eigenspace of ##H## corresponding to the given value of ##E## so that, from my comments in (2), we in general have to bring in other eigenstates of the form (5.26) to write (5.27)? Ballentine must be using some other information to exclude this possibility.

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 10.15.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 10.15.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 10.15.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 10.16.14 AM.png

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
EE18 said:
My issue is with why Ballentine says, at the bottom of 135, that (5.27) must be of the form (5.26). Why!? I'm satisfied with the paragraph above (5.27) where we argue that we need only one eigenstate of the form (5.26) to account for the first term in (5.27), but why should we in general say that that one eigenstate (for the given is then sufficient to account for all the other terms in (5.27)?
He's matching a general form of the full three dimensional wave-function to the form established for its restriction to the xy plane containing the lattice.

Likes vanhees71
LittleSchwinger said:
He's matching a general form of the full three dimensional wave-function to the form established for its restriction to the xy plane containing the lattice.
But how has he established that the particular solution for this problem is an element of the Bloch basis and not just a member of that eigenspace (and so a sum of elements of the Bloch basis in that eigenspace)?

Because this solution must meet the boundary condition imposed by the incident wave.

and to be an eigenstate the energy of the system is constrained asymptotically. This restricts the eigenstates to a subset that looks like Bloch waves with a particular in-plane momentum

1. What is diffraction scattering?

Diffraction scattering is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave, such as light or sound, encounters an obstacle or slit and bends around it, creating a pattern of interference and diffraction.

2. How is diffraction scattering different from reflection and refraction?

Diffraction scattering is different from reflection and refraction because it involves the bending of waves around an obstacle, while reflection involves the bouncing of waves off a surface and refraction involves the change in direction of waves when passing through a different medium.

3. What are some real-life applications of diffraction scattering?

Diffraction scattering has many practical applications, such as in the design of diffraction gratings for spectrometers, in the production of holograms, and in the study of crystal structures in X-ray diffraction experiments.

4. How does the size of the obstacle or slit affect diffraction scattering?

The size of the obstacle or slit can greatly affect the diffraction scattering pattern. A smaller obstacle or slit will result in a wider diffraction pattern, while a larger obstacle or slit will result in a narrower diffraction pattern.

5. Can diffraction scattering occur with all types of waves?

Yes, diffraction scattering can occur with all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves (such as light) and mechanical waves (such as sound). The specific diffraction pattern will depend on the wavelength and properties of the wave.