Ball with maximum velocity on reaching the ground.

In summary, the question was about determining the maximum velocity of three balls (A, B, and C) thrown or dropped from a height H. Using the equations v=u+gt and s=ut+1/2gt^2, it was determined that ball A, thrown upward with a velocity of 20m/s, would have the same velocity of 20m/s when it hits the ground. Ball B, thrown down from the height with a velocity of 20m/s, would have a final velocity of 28.2m/s when it hits the ground. And ball C, simply dropped from the same height, would have a final velocity of 20m/s when it hits the ground. Therefore, the maximum
takando12

Homework Statement

A ball A is thrown upward to a height H with a velocity of 20m/s, another ball B is thrown down from H with a velocity of 20m/s and a third ball C is just dropped from the same height. Find which ball has the maximum velocity when it hits the ground.

Homework Equations

v=u+gt , s=ut +1/2gt2

The Attempt at a Solution

A - The velocity on hitting the ground must be the same as the projected velocity. So I think it's 20 m/s
B - Since it starts with 20m/s from top ,and it's going to speed up because of gravity, it's reasonable to assume that it's final velocity will be greater than A's.
C-This is where I'm confused. Using the formula v=u+gt and u=0 . v=gt .So the final velocity of C is solely dependent on t. Taking the falling part of A's journey, u=0 and v= 20m/s( from first assumption) using v=u+gt. gt=20 . Is the time for the falling of A and C the same and so the answer is A=C<B ?How do i proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
yesterday i told you the solution to this question. i think that you don't get that.

clear my point that, A is thrown from H or thrown from ground to H? if it is thrown from ground to H then, final velocity will be 20m/s, using formula we can get that H=20m(u^2/2g=h), by using (2gh)^.5 we can calculate final velocity of C, and v*v-u*u=2gH, you can calculate final velocity of B, no need to find time. please just put values and solve, and it think there should be no confusion

Likes takando12
Sagar Singh said:
clear my point that, A is thrown from H or thrown from ground to H? if it is thrown from ground to H then, final velocity will be 20m/s, using formula we can get that H=20m(u^2/2g=h), by using (2gh)^.5 we can calculate final velocity of C, and v*v-u*u=2gH, you can calculate final velocity of B, no need to find time. please just put values and solve, and it think there should be no confusion
There is no confusion at all. Firstly, the answer you said yesterday was that the velocity of both A and B on reaching the ground is 20m/s right? that is what is confusing.
using the method you yourself just gave.
A- H=20m v=20m/s
B- v2-u2=2gh
v2= 2*10*20 +400
v= 28.2 m/s
C- u=0m/s
v2-u2=2gh
v2= 2*10*20
v= 20m/s
it's A=C<B right? correct me if I am wrong.

Likes Sagar Singh
takando12 said:
There is no confusion at all. Firstly, the answer you said yesterday was that the velocity of both A and B on reaching the ground is 20m/s right? that is what is confusing.
A- H=20m v=20m/s
B- v2-u2=2gh
v2= 2*10*20 +400
v= 28.2 m/s
C- u=0m/s
v2-u2=2gh
v2= 2*10*20
v= 20m/s
and yes A is thrown from the ground to H.

takando12 said:
A- H=20m v=20m/s
B- v2-u2=2gh
v2= 2*10*20 +400
v= 28.2 m/s
C- u=0m/s
v2-u2=2gh
v2= 2*10*20
v= 20m/s
i mis under stood the question, i think you told me that A is thrown from height H, but today you said that A is thrown TO height H, there is much difference in between them. if TO is used than this is the correct answer, if From is used than yesterday post is correct answer

the question is solved

-
Sagar Singh said:
the question is solved
It's a mistake on my part. I never knew the question was not clear.I had this answer in the old question, it was on my mind from the beginning but then you said the opposite and i was completely confused the whole of yesterday. I re posted it today with the edit.
Well thank you Mr.Sagar and yes it has been solved. CHEERS!

Likes Sagar Singh
takando12 said:
-
It's a mistake on my part. I never knew the question was not clear.I had this answer in the old question, it was on my mind from the beginning but then you said the opposite and i was completely confused the whole of yesterday. I re posted it today with the edit.
Well thank you Mr.Sagar and yes it has been solved. CHEERS!
and btw it's not "brother" like you called me yesterday. :smile: I'm a girl.

Likes Sagar Singh
takando12 said:
and btw it's not "brother" like you called me yesterday. :smile: I'm a girl.
ohh sorry, *sister*

1. How does the velocity of a ball change as it falls to the ground?

The velocity of a ball increases as it falls towards the ground due to the acceleration of gravity. As the ball falls, it gains speed and its velocity increases.

2. What factors affect the maximum velocity of a ball when it reaches the ground?

The maximum velocity of a ball when it reaches the ground is affected by the height from which it is dropped, the force of gravity, and air resistance.

3. Can the maximum velocity of a ball on reaching the ground be greater than its initial velocity?

No, the maximum velocity of a ball on reaching the ground cannot be greater than its initial velocity. This is because as the ball falls, air resistance and other factors slow it down, causing it to lose some of its initial velocity.

4. How can the maximum velocity of a ball on reaching the ground be calculated?

The maximum velocity of a ball on reaching the ground can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the maximum velocity, g is the acceleration of gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height from which the ball is dropped.

5. Does the mass of the ball affect its maximum velocity on reaching the ground?

Yes, the mass of the ball does affect its maximum velocity on reaching the ground. A heavier ball will have a greater force of gravity acting on it, causing it to reach a higher maximum velocity compared to a lighter ball.