Ball speed on a rolling surface?

In summary, a group of friends discussed the idea of using ocean waves to create a pump. They proposed using a 6cm diameter steel ball in a tube with "pillows" on each side to create a "membrane-pump". The ball would roll back and forth as the boat rocks, with a total movement of 30 degrees and a duration of 3 seconds. The challenge is determining the optimal length of the tube using a cosine equation to ensure the ball hits the pillows with enough momentum. It is suggested that the length of the tube should be twice the time it takes for the ball to go from one end to the other to achieve resonance. The pump would be installed on a boat.
enanthate
A couple friends and I were brainstorming an idea today and thought of a way to make a pump using the waves in the ocean for enrgy.

So what it comes down to is say a 6cm i diameter steel ball in a tube, each side of the tube could have "pillows" that are part of a "membrane-pump". When the ball hits the pillow the impact force will cause it to pres sits contents out through the exit tube.

My problem is this... I'm having a hard time calculating the proper length of the tube that the ball will we rolling in.

We decided to say that the boat will rock back and forth 15 degrees on each side, so a total movement of 30 degrees. We also decided that it will take 3 seconds from one extreme bank to the opposite extreme bank.
'
How can we utilize a cosinus equation to decide the proper lengh of the tube? Too long and the ball willnever hit the sides. Too short and you won't get a good momentem to hit the pillows. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Untitled.png
Forgot to mention, Installed on a boat :D

Last edited:
I suspect the optimum will be when the period of the wave is about the twice the time it takes the ball to go from one end to the other? I base this on the principle of resonance. An oscillating system absorbs the most energy from the source if the source frequency matches the resonant frequency.

Related to Ball speed on a rolling surface?

1. What factors affect the speed of a ball on a rolling surface?

The speed of a ball on a rolling surface is affected by various factors such as the surface material, the angle of the surface, the weight and size of the ball, and the force applied to the ball.

2. How does the surface material affect the speed of a ball?

The surface material plays a significant role in determining the speed of a ball. A smooth and hard surface, such as wood or concrete, allows the ball to roll faster, while a rough and soft surface, such as grass or carpet, can slow down the ball's speed.

3. Does the angle of the surface impact the speed of a rolling ball?

Yes, the angle of the surface can affect the speed of a rolling ball. A steeper incline will increase the speed of the ball, while a flatter surface will decrease its speed. This is due to the force of gravity acting on the ball.

4. How does the weight and size of a ball affect its speed on a rolling surface?

The weight and size of a ball can also impact its speed on a rolling surface. A heavier and larger ball will have more momentum and will roll faster than a lighter and smaller ball. However, it also depends on the surface material and other factors.

5. Can the force applied to a ball affect its speed on a rolling surface?

Yes, the force applied to a ball can affect its speed on a rolling surface. The more force that is applied, the faster the ball will roll. This is due to the increased momentum and energy that the ball receives from the force.