Ball rolling and bouncing from a wall

In summary, the problem involves a ball of mass m that rotates without sliding at velocity v1 and hits a wall. After the collision, it rotates backwards at velocity v2. The question is asking for the energy loss in the collision. Using the kinetic energy equation for a rigid body and the moment of inertia of a ball, the energy loss can be calculated as 1/2 times the mass times the difference in velocities squared, multiplied by 1+2/5, which is the moment of inertia divided by the radius squared. If there is no friction, the ball will not change its rotation during the collision. However, if there is friction with the wall, the ball will become airborne during the rebound. If the rebound takes a
Karol

Homework Statement

A ball of mass m rotates without sliding at velocity v1 and hits a wall. it rotates backwards at velocity v2. what is the energy loss.

Homework Equations

Kinetic energy of a rigid body: ##E=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2##
Moment of inertia of a ball round it's center: ##I=\frac{2}{5}mr^2##

3. The Attempt at a Solution

$$\Delta E=\frac{1}{2}m(v_2^2-v_1^2)+\frac{1}{2}I(\omega^2_2-\omega^2_1)$$
$$\omega r=v\rightarrow \omega^2=\frac{v^2}{r^2}$$
$$\Delta E=\frac{1}{2}m(v_2^2-v_1^2)+\frac{1}{2}\frac{2}{5}mr^2\cdot\left( \frac{v_2^2-v_1^2}{r^2} \right)$$
$$\Delta E=\frac{1}{2}m(v_2^2-v_1^2)\left( 1+\frac{2}{5} \right)$$

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if you are supposed to assume ##\omega r = v##. If there is no friction, why should ##\omega## change during the collision?
To make it worse, why should this relation hold before the collision?

My mistake, i corrected in the OP, it rotates without sliding, sorry

Okay, then ignore the second comment, the first one is still valid.

I think it's more complicated to solve, because at higher speeds the ball will have so much rotational energy forward, that it will jump backwards, having hit the wall.
The rotational energy will be converted to "jumping energy".
Some moving pattern like this: ( moving forward / moving backward ):

|∩∩∩∩∩∩∩ >
|--------------------------- <

( wall to the left )

But i still think, because of the wording of the question, that also in the first stage at v1 it rotates without sliding

You added that to the problem statement, so I guess it is true... yes.
It will slide after the collision, however.

mfb said:
It will slide after the collision, however.
Why are you sure? if it will slide then it won't rotate fast enough for v2, but why do you say that?
Because of the collision i don't know if the angular momentum's magnitude is preserved and only the direction has changed, so i don't know nothing!

There is nothing that could change its rotation, as we don't have friction.
Edit: You removed the "without friction" from post 1.
Please post the full and exact problem statement.

mfb said:
Please post the full and exact problem statement.
A ball of mass m rolls without sliding and hits a vertical wall with velocity v1. the ball's velocity after the collision is v2. what is the amount of energy that was emitted in the collision.

Karol said:
A ball of mass m rolls without sliding and hits a vertical wall with velocity v1. the ball's velocity after the collision is v2. what is the amount of energy that was emitted in the collision.
If there is unlimited friction with the ground but none with the wall, and we allow the rebound to take a little time instead of being instantaneous, that is all feasible and leads to your answer in the OP.

haruspex said:
If there is unlimited friction with the ground but none with the wall, and we allow the rebound to take a little time instead of being instantaneous, that is all feasible and leads to your answer in the OP.
And if there's friction with the wall? will the fact that the force from the wall can be in any angle make a difference? is that, the change in the direction of the reaction, the only effect of the friction in the wall?

Karol said:
And if there's friction with the wall? will the fact that the force from the wall can be in any angle make a difference? is that, the change in the direction of the reaction, the only effect of the friction in the wall?
If there is any friction with the wall then the ball will become airborne on the rebound.

haruspex said:
If there is any friction with the wall then the ball will become airborne on the rebound.
What is airborne? do you mean it will be a little time in the air like in the drawing? and why are sure that it will lift the ball off the ground, maybe the force won't be strong enough, or it doesn't matter if it will completely lift it or not? and what does it matter if the ball is airborne if we address to the later situation when it stabilizes and continues to roll without sliding?

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 335
Karol said:
why are sure that it will lift the ball off the ground
If the rebound takes a short time then the forces will be large, much larger than mg. If there is friction from the wall then its maximum value will be in proportion to the rebound force. Angular momentum about the point of impact on the wall will be preserved.
If the friction is so great that it does not slip against the wall during rebound then you can deduce the vertical velocity that results.
Karol said:
what does it matter if the ball is airborne if we address to the later situation when it stabilizes and continues to roll without sliding?
As long as v2 refers to the velocity when it has resumed rolling, it does not matter.

Thanks but why, if the collision takes time, there isn't conservation of energy, am i right?
Does the stage of acceleration consume all the difference in energies?
So if the change in velocities is instantaneous there isn't acceleration and no losses?

Last edited:

Related to Ball rolling and bouncing from a wall

1. How does the angle of the wall affect the ball's bounce?

The angle of the wall can greatly impact the ball's bounce. When the ball hits the wall at a 90 degree angle, it will bounce back in the opposite direction with the same speed. However, if the angle of the wall is less than 90 degrees, the ball will bounce off at an angle determined by the law of reflection.

2. Why does a ball bounce higher off a hard surface compared to a soft surface?

A ball bounces higher off a hard surface because the surface is more rigid and can exert a greater force on the ball. This force is known as the normal force and it is responsible for pushing the ball back up into the air. On a soft surface, the normal force is not as strong and therefore the ball will not bounce as high.

3. Can the material of the ball affect its bouncing behavior?

Yes, the material of the ball can greatly impact its bouncing behavior. For example, a rubber ball will bounce higher than a foam ball because rubber is a more elastic material. This means that it can store and release more energy when compressed, resulting in a higher bounce. Additionally, the surface of the ball can also affect its bounce, as a smoother surface will create less friction and allow for a higher bounce.

4. How does air pressure affect the ball's bounce?

Air pressure can have a significant impact on a ball's bounce. If the ball is filled with air, it will bounce higher because the air molecules inside the ball provide more pressure, making it more rigid. Conversely, if the ball is underinflated, it will not bounce as high because there is less pressure inside the ball, causing it to deform and absorb more of the impact.

5. Is there a limit to the number of bounces a ball can make off a wall?

In theory, there is no limit to the number of bounces a ball can make off a wall. However, in reality, the ball will eventually lose energy with each bounce due to factors such as air resistance and friction. This means that each subsequent bounce will be slightly lower than the previous one until the ball eventually comes to a stop.