Ball falling on to parabolic track

In summary, a 50 g ball is released from rest 1.0 m above the bottom of the track and rolls down a 30 degree segment before going up a parabolic segment with a shape given by y = 1/4x^2. The question is asking for the final y value, which can be found by using the equations KE = 1/2 mv^2 and PE = mgy. Using the given values of m = 0.50 kg, yi = 1, and xf = 1/(tan30) = 1.73, it is possible to solve for the final y value, which is also equal to the initial y value. This means that regardless of the shape of the
jemstone
1. A 50 g ball is released from rest 1.0 m above the bottom of the track. It rolls down a straight 30 degree segment, then back up a parabolic segment whose shape is given by y = 1/4x^2, where x and y are in m.

There is a picture shown too, but I can't figure out how to get it in the post. I figure that enough information is given to understand the problem.

2. KE = 1/2 mv^2
PE = mgy
KEf + Ugf = Ki + Ugi

3. I really don't know what I'm doing, but we know that:
m=.50 kg
yi = 1
xf = 1 / (tan30) = 1.73
I think the question is asking me to find the final y which I could find from the equation of the parabola, but then I need x. I'm just really lost.

Physics news on Phys.org

You weren't too clear on what the question states, so I'll just mention that the potential energy is the same for any x, if we have the same y. Also, when a ball rolls to the top of a hill or something, its kinetic energy must be zero because, for a brief moment, it isn't moving.

I think I'm having a hard time approaching this problem. I know that I'm looking for the final y value.

I also am thinking that since this has an inclined plane, the gravity isn't going to be g, but gsin30 (but it's possible that I am making this more complicated than it is).

So maybe we use:
(1/2)mvf2 + mgsin30yf = (1/2)mvi2 + mgsin30yi
0 + (.05 kg)(9.8)(sin30)yf = 0 + (.05 kg)(9.8)(sin30)(1m)
.245yf = .245
yf = 1

So that means that I'm not using the parabolic equation and the final height is the same as the initial height? Does this make sense?

Ok I think I figured it out. I made it harder than it should be. Regardless of the shape of the trajectory, the object will go to the same height, 1m.

Related to Ball falling on to parabolic track

1. How does the shape of the parabolic track affect the ball's motion?

The shape of the parabolic track determines the path that the ball will follow as it falls. Due to the curved shape, the ball will accelerate at a constant rate and will reach a maximum height before falling back to the ground.

2. What factors influence the speed of the ball as it falls on the parabolic track?

The speed of the ball is influenced by the angle of the track, the initial velocity of the ball, and the force of gravity. The steeper the angle, the faster the ball will fall, and the higher the initial velocity, the faster the ball will move along the track.

3. Can the ball's trajectory on the parabolic track be predicted?

Yes, the ball's trajectory can be predicted using mathematical equations such as the parabolic motion formula. This formula takes into account the initial velocity, angle of the track, and acceleration due to gravity to calculate the position of the ball at any given time.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of the ball on the parabolic track?

Air resistance can slow down the speed of the ball as it falls on the parabolic track. This is because the air molecules create a force in the opposite direction of the ball's motion, causing it to slow down. However, air resistance is often negligible in these types of experiments.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying a ball falling on a parabolic track?

Studying a ball falling on a parabolic track can help us understand the laws of motion and gravity. This knowledge is essential in fields such as engineering and physics, where understanding the movement of objects is crucial. It can also be used in ballistics and sports, where the trajectory of a ball is important for accuracy and performance.