Ball colliding with rod elastically

• Thread starter Vibhor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Rod
In summary, the conversation is discussing a physics problem involving a rod and a ball in an elastic collision. The problem is that the mass and speed of the ball are not given, and it is uncertain whether the data provided is sufficient to solve the problem. One suggestion is to make up values for the mass and speed of the ball to see what answer is obtained. Another suggestion is to ignore the ball and focus on the impulse applied to the rod and the conservation of energy.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=af935b7aeb4012acf5da35dc2b92718b.png

Ans D)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I am having in this question is that mass and speed of ball is not given . I think it is not possible to solve this question without this data .

Am I correct or is data sufficient in this problem ?

Thanks

Attachments

• problem.PNG
    problem.PNG
    38.6 KB · Views: 479
Physics news on Phys.org
Vibhor said:
The problem I am having in this question is that mass and speed of ball is not given . I think it is not possible to solve this question without this data .

Am I correct or is data sufficient in this problem ?

Thanks

Just make something up for the mass and speed of the ball and see what answer you get. Then, try a different mass and/or speed, and see whether you get the same answer.

PS Do you understand what they mean by "instantaneous axis of rotation"?

Last edited:
You can save yourself some calculation by ignoring the ball and the statement that the collision is elastic. The important information is that the rod has had an impulse applied at one end at right angles to its long axis. The ball and the rebound speed required to conserve total energy are an irrelevant distraction.

Likes Vibhor and PeroK
jbriggs444 said:
You can save yourself some calculation by ignoring the ball and the statement that the collision is elastic. The important information is that the rod has had an impulse applied at one end at right angles to its long axis. The ball and the rebound speed required to conserve total energy are an irrelevant distraction.
Thanks a lot :smile:

Related to Ball colliding with rod elastically

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy before and after the collision remains the same.

How does a ball collide with a rod elastically?

A ball and a rod can collide elastically if the collision is perfectly perpendicular to the surface of the rod. This means that the ball bounces off the rod with the same speed and direction it had before the collision.

What factors affect the elasticity of the collision between a ball and a rod?

The elasticity of a collision between a ball and a rod can be affected by factors such as the material and shape of the objects involved, as well as the angle and speed of the collision. For example, a softer ball will have a more elastic collision with a rod than a harder ball.

How can the elasticity of a collision be measured?

The elasticity of a collision can be measured using the coefficient of restitution, which is the ratio of the final velocity to the initial velocity of an object after a collision. A coefficient of restitution of 1 indicates a perfectly elastic collision, while a value less than 1 indicates some loss of kinetic energy.

Why is the concept of elastic collisions important in physics?

Elastic collisions are important in physics because they allow us to study the conservation of energy and momentum. In an elastic collision, the total energy and momentum of the system are conserved, which can help us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. Elastic collisions also have practical applications, such as in sports and engineering.