Ball collides with a door and pushes it open

• Thread starter TjGrinnell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, when a ball collides with a door, it applies a force in the direction of its motion, causing the door to open. This force is affected by the mass and velocity of the ball, as well as the material and weight of the door. The ball pushes the door open because its force is greater than the force of the door resisting the motion. Any ball with enough mass and velocity can push a door open, regardless of its shape or size. The angle of impact also plays a role, with a perpendicular impact having the most force to open the door.
TjGrinnell
Homework Statement
A door has a mass of 9.00 kg, a height of 2.00 m, a width of 1.00 m, and a moment of inertia of 3.00 kg*m2 about its axis. It is initially at rest and partly open. A 2.00 kg ball is thrown at the door. When it hits the door it is 1.20 m above the floor and 0.450 m from the hinge axis. It is moving at 3.50 m/s perpendicular to the door's surface, and it bounces back, also perpendicular to the door's surface at 2.00 m/s.
What is the angular speed of the door after the collision
If the collision takes place over 0.05 s, what was the average force between the ball and the door?
Relevant Equations
KE[SUB]b1[/SUB]+PE[SUB]d[/SUB]=KE[SUB]b2[/SUB]+KE[SUB]d[/SUB]

F[SUB]avg[/SUB]=m(v[SUB]f[/SUB]-v[SUB]0[/SUB])/t
Have to type here because of picture. I think I may have done this wrong the first time and I wanted to know if i should use the conservation equation as shown above, or I the one in my work correct?
And also is the second formula the correct one in order to get the average force?
Thank you
Physics Problem 21.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
TjGrinnell said:
KEb1+PEd=KEb2+KEd

if i should use the conservation equation as shown above, or I the one in my work correct?
Never assume conservation of mechanical energy without good cause.
What other laws could you use?

Related to Ball collides with a door and pushes it open

1. How does the ball push the door open?

When the ball collides with the door, it exerts a force on the door in the direction of its motion. This force causes the door to move and open as the ball bounces off of it.

2. What factors affect the force of the ball on the door?

The force of the ball on the door depends on the mass and velocity of the ball, as well as the material and weight of the door. The angle and speed at which the ball collides with the door can also affect the force.

3. Why does the door open when the ball hits it?

The door opens because the force of the ball on the door is greater than the force of the door on the ball. This is due to the fact that the ball has more mass and velocity, and therefore more momentum, than the door.

4. Can the door also push the ball back?

Yes, depending on the force of the door on the ball. If the door is heavier and moving at a higher speed, it can exert a greater force on the ball and push it back in the opposite direction.

5. What other variables can affect the outcome of the ball colliding with the door?

The surface of the door and the ball can also play a role in the collision. A smooth surface will result in a more elastic collision, while a rough surface may cause the ball to lose more energy and not push the door open as far. Air resistance and friction can also affect the motion of the ball and the door.