Ball Bearing Speed Calculation in Elevator

In summary, the conversation discusses the speeds of an elevator and a ball bearing 2 seconds after the ball rolls off the elevator floor. The speed of the ball bearing is determined using the equation v=u+at, where v is the final speed, u is the initial speed, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. The acceleration of the ball bearing is given as 9.81 m/s2, which is due to the force of gravity. The term "flier" refers to the ball rolling off the elevator floor. It is clarified that the ball is rolling out of the elevator and is subject to a downward acceleration of 9.81 m/s2, while still maintaining its initial upward velocity of 0.52
Fuzzykatecake
An open elevator is moving with an upward velocity of
0.52ms-1 with an upward acceleration of 2.4ms-2. A ball bearing then rolls off the floor with zero horizontal speed. Determine the speeds of ball bearing and elevator 2s after the ball rolls off the floor.

Using v=u+at, speed of ball bearing
Answer given was
v=(-0.52)+(9.81)(2)I don't understand why the acceleration of ball is 9.81 and not acceleration of lift. Shouldn't the acceleration of ball be the same as lift as they are in contact?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think 'flier' refers to? (This is a genuine question, I don't know what it means here.) My guess is it means it rolls out of the elevator.

haruspex said:
What do you think 'flier' refers to? (This is a genuine question, I don't know what it means here.) My guess is it means it rolls out of the elevator.
I am so sorry! It's floor!

Fuzzykatecake said:
I am so sorry! It's floor!
So does that resolve your question?

haruspex said:
So does that resolve your question?
Wait.. Are u saying that the ball rolls OUT of the elevator and is free falling and that's why the a is 9.81. But it still has the upward velocity of lift.. But how is it possible?

When it rolls out of the lift, it is initially still traveling with an upward velocity of 0.52 m/s. It is then subjected to a downward acceleration of 9.8 m/s2.

Chet

Now I get it thanks:)

What is the concept of "ball rolling in elevator"?

The concept of "ball rolling in elevator" refers to the behavior of a ball when it is placed inside an elevator that is in motion. This situation creates a non-inertial frame of reference in which the ball experiences apparent forces, leading to interesting and sometimes counterintuitive behaviors.

How does the motion of the elevator affect the ball?

The motion of the elevator affects the ball because it changes the frame of reference in which the ball is observed. When the elevator is in motion, the ball appears to experience a force that is not present when the elevator is at rest. This is due to the acceleration of the elevator, which creates an apparent force known as the centrifugal force.

What happens to the ball if the elevator is moving at a constant speed?

If the elevator is moving at a constant speed, the ball will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed as well. This is because there is no acceleration present, so there is no apparent force acting on the ball. From the perspective of an observer inside the elevator, the ball will appear to be stationary.

Why does the ball move in a curved path when the elevator is accelerating?

The ball moves in a curved path when the elevator is accelerating because it is subject to the centrifugal force. This force acts in the opposite direction of the acceleration of the elevator, causing the ball to appear to move in a curved path. This is due to the ball's tendency to maintain its state of motion, according to Newton's first law of motion.

How does the mass of the ball affect its behavior in the elevator?

The mass of the ball does not significantly affect its behavior in the elevator. The ball will still experience the same apparent forces and move in a curved path when the elevator is accelerating, regardless of its mass. However, a heavier ball may appear to resist changes in motion more due to its inertia.