Balancing a circle on a triangle?

In summary, the problem involves finding the period of small oscillations of a hoop with mass m and radius R balanced on top of a knife blade. The moment of inertia of the hoop is given by I = mR2 and the potential energy is U = mgh. The restoring force is related to the center of mass and energy methods are used to solve the problem. Using energy equations, the solution for small angle approximation results in a non-oscillating solution, leading to the conclusion that there is no restoring force. However, the setup of the problem involves the blade being inside the hoop, creating a restoring force when the hoop is displaced.
anotherghost

Homework Statement

You're given a hoop with mass m and radius R balanced on top of a knife blade. (The diagram looks like a triangle with a circle balanced on the tip.) Find the period of small oscillations.

(Yes, that is all the problem says.)

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia of a hoop: I = mR2
U = mgh
K = 1/2 I w2 (writing omega as w)

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, here's the thing - I can't figure out how the hoop could be oscillating because I don't know what the restoring force is supposed to be. When questioned about it the professor said that has to do with the center of mass, but that we should use energy methods to solve the problem. So...

U = mgh (where h is the height of the center of mass)
h = R cos O (writing theta as O. theta is the angle the hoop rotates from the point of the triangle)
Then U = mgRcosO
K = 1/2 (Ihoop + mR2)w2 (by parallel axis theorem)
K = 1/2 2mRw2 = mRw2

E = K + U, dE/dt = 0

d/dt (MRw2 + mgRcosO ) = 0
2R d2O/dt2 - g O = 0 after small angle approximation and dividing through by m R w

The solution of that is just O(t) = c1 esqrt(g/2R)t + c2 e-sqrt(g/2R)t

That isn't oscillating. Of course that makes sense to me, because from what I understand there can be no restoring force...

What am I missing here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From your description I suspect you are not seeing the set up clearly.The blade is inside the hoop so that when at rest the centre of the hoop is vertically below the blade.when the hoop is displaced there will be a restoring force.

Related to Balancing a circle on a triangle?

1. How do you balance a circle on a triangle?

The key to balancing a circle on a triangle is to find the center of gravity for both shapes. The center of gravity for a circle is its geometric center. The center of gravity for a triangle is where all three medians intersect. By aligning these two points, the circle will be balanced on top of the triangle.

2. Is it possible to balance a circle on a triangle without any support?

No, it is not possible to balance a circle on a triangle without any support. The center of gravity for a circle is always located inside the shape, meaning there must be some form of support underneath it to prevent it from falling.

3. Can any size circle be balanced on a triangle?

Yes, any size circle can be balanced on a triangle as long as the center of gravity for both shapes is aligned. However, the larger the circle is in relation to the triangle, the more difficult it may be to balance due to the weight distribution.

4. What factors affect the balance of a circle on a triangle?

The main factor that affects the balance of a circle on a triangle is the relative size and weight of the two shapes. The larger the circle is in relation to the triangle, the more difficult it may be to balance. Additionally, the location of the center of gravity for both shapes can also affect the balance.

5. Are there any real-world applications for balancing a circle on a triangle?

While balancing a circle on a triangle may seem like a simple scientific experiment, it has real-world applications in fields such as architecture and engineering. Understanding the concept of center of gravity and balance is crucial in designing stable structures and objects.