Balancer moving on a turntable

• Thread starter Gabriel Maia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turntable
In summary: The angular momentum will be converted to linear momentum and the balancer and plank will stop at the center of the plank. In summary, the balancer has zero torque and the system has linear momentum at the center of the plank.
Gabriel Maia
Hi. The problem is the following:

We have a balancer initially at the end of a plank that spins around an axis at its center. The initial rotation period is T[itex]_{0}[/itex]. The balancer starts to walk with constant speed along the plank and we are asked to answer some questions about it.

a) What is the balancer's torque?

Since the force over the balancer is central it is consequently parallel to the radius and the torque is, therefore, zero. Right?

b) What are the angular momentum of the system (the balancer is to be trated as a point particle and the plank has momentum of inertia I=[itex]\frac{1}{12}[/itex]MD[itex]^{2}[/itex]) when the balancer reaches the center of the plank?

The angular momentum is given by [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{L}[/itex]=[itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r}[/itex]×[itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{p}[/itex]

where [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r}[/itex] is the vector connecting the position of the balancer to the axis of rotation. At the center of the plank r=0 so the total angular momentum is due exclusively to the plank. It is

L=I[itex]\omega[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{12}[/itex]MD[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\omega[/itex]

where [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular velocity.

Right?

c) What is the rotation period in the iten b) situation?

We have that [itex]\omega[/itex]=2[itex]\pi[/itex]/T so

T=[itex]\frac{2\pi{I}}{L}[/itex]

I would like to express this independently of L but L is a function of T which cancels the other T. How can I determine it?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gabriel Maia said:
a) What is the balancer's torque?

Since the force over the balancer is central it is consequently parallel to the radius and the torque is, therefore, zero. Right?
As the balancer moves in, what should be conserved? What does that imply about the rate of rotation? Assuming the plank has mass, what does that imply about a torque on the plank?

The angular momentum should be conserved. As for the torque on the plank I would say that each element of the plank spins around the axis. So they are also subject to a central force and have torque zero.

Yes, the angular momentum is conserved. So what will happen to the balancer+plank system as the balancer moves closer to the axis?

I can confirm that your calculations and understanding are correct. In the first situation, the balancer's torque is indeed zero since the force is parallel to the radius. In the second situation, the angular momentum is solely due to the plank, as the balancer's position is at the center where the radius is zero. And in the third situation, you have correctly used the equation for angular velocity to calculate the rotation period. In order to express the period independently of L, you can use the equation for angular momentum in terms of angular velocity and moment of inertia, which is L = Iω. This allows you to solve for ω in terms of I and L, and then substitute that into the equation for period. I hope this helps clarify your calculations. Keep up the good work!

Related to Balancer moving on a turntable

1. How does a balancer move on a turntable?

A balancer moves on a turntable by utilizing its center of gravity. As the turntable rotates, the balancer will naturally move towards the center of the turntable due to its weight distribution.

2. What is the purpose of a balancer on a turntable?

The purpose of a balancer on a turntable is to maintain stability and prevent the turntable from wobbling or tipping over. It helps to evenly distribute the weight of the turntable and its contents, ensuring smooth and steady rotation.

3. How does the balancer affect the rotation speed of a turntable?

The balancer has no direct effect on the rotation speed of a turntable. However, a properly balanced turntable will rotate more smoothly and efficiently, which can indirectly affect its overall speed and performance.

4. Can a balancer be adjusted to accommodate different weights on a turntable?

Yes, a balancer can be adjusted to accommodate different weights on a turntable. This can be done by moving the balancer closer or further away from the center of the turntable, depending on the weight distribution of the contents.

5. Are there different types of balancers for turntables?

Yes, there are different types of balancers for turntables, depending on the specific needs and design of the turntable. Some balancers may be fixed in place, while others may be adjustable. There are also various materials and designs used for balancers, such as springs, weights, and counterweights.