Balance of a car on an inclined plane

In summary, the problem involves a 900 kg car moving up an inclined road with an acceleration of 0.25 m/s^2. Given a friction coefficient of 0.5, the magnitude of the force that moves the car is found to be 8454 N, which is different from the initially calculated 12285.6 N. The correct solution involves considering the forces acting in the direction of acceleration and those acting against it.
okh

Homework Statement

A 900 kg car goes up along an inclined road by 30 degrees characterized by an acceleration of 0.25 m/s^2. If friction coefficient is 0.5, find the magnitude of the force that moves the car.
Solution: F = 12285.6 N

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5361/imagetcq.jpg
Sum of all forces is: m *a = 900 * 0.25 = 225
Then Ffriction is = 0.5 * FwPerpendicular = 0.5 * sin(60) * 900 * 9.8 = 3819 N
Then Fwparallel is = sin(60) * 900 * 9.8 = 4410
F = 3819 + 4410 + 225 = 8454 N != solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing something :D

kushan said:
You are missing something :D
Do you mean in the problem statement ( :smile: ) or in my attempt?

are you getting 8454 ?

kushan said:
are you getting 8454 ?
Yes, exactly.

From where did you get this question
because as far as I know (:)) you are doing correctly (hopefully)

kushan said:
From where did you get this question
because as far as I know (:)) you are doing correctly (hopefully)
The teacher dictated us that problem. However I've just asked my schoolmates and the teacher said the solution was wrong and the right one was 8454!

Then why you posted this things here ( : ) ) i am still trying make a smiley smile oh god

okh said:
Then Ffriction is = 0.5 * FwPerpendicular = 0.5 * sin(60) * 900 * 9.8 = 3819 N
Then Fwparallel is = sin(60) * 900 * 9.8 = 4410

F = 3819 + 4410 + 225 = 8454 N != solution

FwPerpendicular is mgcos(60).
Figure out which force acts in the direction of acceleration, up along the incline and which one acts against it.

ehild

Related to Balance of a car on an inclined plane

1. How does the slope of an inclined plane affect the balance of a car?

The slope of an inclined plane affects the balance of a car by changing the distribution of weight on the car's wheels. The steeper the slope, the more weight is shifted towards the front of the car, making it more likely to tip over.

2. What factors determine the stability of a car on an inclined plane?

The stability of a car on an inclined plane is determined by several factors, including the weight and size of the car, the angle of the slope, the traction of the tires, and the center of mass of the car.

3. Can a car be perfectly balanced on an inclined plane?

No, it is not possible for a car to be perfectly balanced on an inclined plane. Due to the effects of gravity and the distribution of weight, there will always be some degree of instability.

4. How does the center of mass of a car affect its balance on an inclined plane?

The center of mass of a car plays a crucial role in its balance on an inclined plane. If the center of mass is closer to the front or back of the car, it can cause the car to tip over more easily. Ideally, the center of mass should be as close to the ground as possible for maximum stability.

5. What are some strategies for maintaining balance while driving on an inclined plane?

To maintain balance while driving on an inclined plane, it is important to keep the car's speed under control, avoid sudden turns or changes in direction, and distribute weight evenly by keeping passengers and cargo towards the center of the car. Additionally, using a lower gear and engaging the parking brake can help provide more control and stability.