Red Hot Magnetics Hypothetical Experiment

In summary: This creates a sudden temperature change and a sudden increase in energy which causes the electrons in the ferromagnetic material to start flipping randomly.
pallidin
Hypothetical experiment:

I have a single 2-inch by 2-inch by 1-inch thick Neodymium magnet affixed on the outer rim of a 1-foot diameter circular hard plastic disk(1/8th-inch). The disk and magnet are held stationary by whatever means.
The underside of the plastic disk has a coating, an insulating coating, sufficient to withstand, let's say, 2000 degrees F with a coating thickness of 1/2 inch.
Fine.
Now, underneath this assembly I have another disk(same 1-foot diameter dimension), separated from the first disk by a nominal air-space. This second disk is allowed to rotate freely and in fact motor driven, unlike the first, which is held static.
The properties of this second disk is this: This disk is composed of iron(or other suitable ferromagnetic material) On the outside perimeter of this "iron" disk 2-inch diameter holes are drilled. With 2-inches between drillings, this provides for 6 holes on the outer rim of the 1-foot "iron" disk.
If I rotate this "iron" disk underneath the NIB magnet, a choppy "drag" will occur, due to the fact the iron disks' rotation will self-impede motion because of the magnet, yet the hole spaces provide relief, then drag. Choppy.
Now, let's heat the "iron" disk, very hot.
The "iron" disk, now super-heated and in rotation is not drag-affected by the magnet, but will spin freely.
Energy is used to heat the disk, so conservation is maintained.
However, the holes in the disk allows the magnetic field to pass during rotation of this heated disk, albeit in a pulsed manner.
Not getting something for nothing, but the question is this: Will this operate as I described?

Physics news on Phys.org
I really can't tell what this is supposed to do.

- Warren

Warren. What I am trying to understand is the interaction of a magnetic field with a red hot piece of iron.
A magnet will not attract red hot iron, does not repel it and does not go through it(if solid).
So what happens to the field if it doesn't do any of the above?

The curie temperature of Fe is around 1000C. When Fe is above it's curie temp. its thermal energy is large enough to cause random flips in the spin of electrons. Above the curie temperature Ferromagnets turn into a paramagnet. and you apply a magnetic field to a paramagent, the spins of the electrons try to align with the magnetic field.

JMD

What happens is, before the curie temperature is reached, you smash your hand between the two plates like a crepe

1. What is the "Red Hot Magnetics Hypothetical Experiment"?

The "Red Hot Magnetics Hypothetical Experiment" is a theoretical experiment that explores the effects of high temperatures on magnetic materials. It involves heating a magnet to extreme temperatures and observing any changes in its magnetic properties.

2. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to understand how heat affects the magnetic properties of materials. It can also provide insights into the potential use of magnetic materials in high-temperature environments.

3. How is the experiment conducted?

In this experiment, a magnet is placed in a controlled environment and heated to a specific temperature. The temperature is then gradually increased, and the changes in the magnet's magnetic field strength and direction are measured and recorded.

4. What are the potential applications of this experiment?

This experiment has potential applications in industries such as aerospace, energy, and electronics, where materials are exposed to high temperatures and require strong magnetic properties. It can also aid in the development of new magnetic materials for high-temperature applications.

5. What are the limitations of this experiment?

As this is a hypothetical experiment, it has not been conducted in a real-world setting. Therefore, the results may not accurately reflect the behavior of materials at extreme temperatures. Additionally, the experiment does not account for external factors that may affect the magnetic properties of materials in high-temperature environments.