What is particle spin , and does it have anything to do with radio activity?

In summary, spin is an intrinsic property of particles, similar to their mass, and has nothing to do with radioactivity. It is measured in units of 1/2 * hbar and can affect the behavior of particles depending on if they have integer or half-integer spin. It is also related to relativistic effects and can contribute to the total angular momentum of a particle.
Cyberice
What is particle "spin", and does it have anything to do with radio activity?

I keep hearing about the "spin" of sub-atomic particles like such-and-such particle has a spin of 1/2 or 1. I heard even some have a spin of 2. And it also seems that I have heard that some radioactive particles have a higher spin (or lower - don't remember) than normal. Is this scorce on crack, or can you back-up/explain any of this? I'm just curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
Spin is a intrinsic property of the particle, like its mass. And it has nothing to do with radioactivity. Isospin, might have somehting to do with radioactivity, but I can't rrecal off the top of my head

JMD

Spin is the intrinisic angular momentum of a particle or group of particles, which is in additon to it's angular momntum due to it's orbital motion.

Isopin's a little bit different as it only possesd by hadrons and is always conserved in strong interactions but not electromgnetic interactions.

I don't think quantum spin is really the same as spin as we traditionally thing. I think we know it possesses a strong relativistic element, and that the "spin" analogy is sometimes useful, but it is important to remember it isn't the same.

By spin 1 or 0.5, we really mean 1 * hbar or 0.5 * hbar. Whether the particle has integer spin or half-integer spin is very influential on it's behaviour. Integer spin particles (eg. photons) are called bosons, follow the laws know as Bose-Einstein statistics, while half integer spins are called Fermions (eg. electrons) and follow Fermi-Dirac statistics.

If I remember correctly, of course.

EDIT: which I don't, because I am an idiot.

The units of spin are of course in 1/2 * hbar, where hbar = h/(2*pi). Ie a particle with +1 units of spin has really +1 * 0.5 * h/2pi, which preserves the uncertainty principle.

I hope that's right.

Last edited:
Spin is the change of quantum mechanical phase with change of plane angle, and as F.Z. says it has to do with relativity too. Special relativity allows boosts (accelerations) and turns in the three space dimensions, for spin 1/2 states, boosts change the modulus of the amplitude, turns change the phase of the amplitude. The Dirac γ matrices describe these changes.

Originally posted by FZ+
I don't think quantum spin is really the same as spin as we traditionally thing. I think we know it possesses a strong relativistic element, and that the "spin" analogy is sometimes useful, but it is important to remember it isn't the same.

By spin 1 or 0.5, we really mean 1 * hbar or 0.5 * hbar. Whether the particle has integer spin or half-integer spin is very influential on it's behaviour. Integer spin particles (eg. photons) are called bosons, follow the laws know as Bose-Einstein statistics, while half integer spins are called Fermions (eg. electrons) and follow Fermi-Dirac statistics.

If I remember correctly, of course.

No it is sort of the same as angular momentum, as I said before tit contributes to the total angular momentum of a particle along with it's orbital angular momentum, though sometimes it is of treated as the particle spinning on it's axis, this is not actually the case it's just an intrinsic property of that particle.

Also spin is actually given by √s(s+1)h/2π, where s is the spin quantum number which is usually a half or an integer.

1. What is particle spin?

Particle spin is an intrinsic property of subatomic particles, such as electrons and protons, that describes their angular momentum. It is a quantum mechanical property and cannot be visualized in the same way as the spin of a macroscopic object like a spinning top.

2. How is particle spin measured?

Particle spin is measured in units of angular momentum called spin quantum numbers. These numbers can take on half-integer values for fermions (particles with half-integer spin) and integer values for bosons (particles with integer spin).

3. What is the relationship between particle spin and radioactivity?

Particle spin does not directly cause radioactivity, but it can play a role in certain radioactive processes. For example, during beta decay, an unstable nucleus emits a beta particle (an electron) with a specific spin orientation. This spin direction can determine the direction of the emitted particle and can also affect the energy and momentum of the particle.

4. Can particle spin change?

Yes, particle spin can change through certain interactions with other particles. For example, during the process of electron capture, an electron in an atom can combine with a proton in the nucleus, causing the proton to change its spin direction.

5. How is particle spin used in practical applications?

Particle spin has many practical applications, including in medical imaging techniques like magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and in particle accelerators used in research and industry. The spin of particles can also be used as a quantum bit (qubit) in quantum computing, providing a way to store and manipulate information at the subatomic level.