Backscattering of photons in dim = 1

• B
  • Thread starter Heidi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, the conversation is about the Young slits experiment, where there is a source of photons in the middle and two slits on the x-axis. The electron can pass through these slits and the photons can interact with it, resulting in a detection at -2 or +2. The conversation also mentions probabilities and the author's search for formulas to determine these probabilities based on the frequency of the photons. The concept of compton scattering is also brought up, but it is not clear if it is directly related to the experiment.
Heidi
TL;DR Summary
what is the probability thar a photon emitted to the right on an axis interacts with an electron and then comes back to the left?
Hi PF
i am reading a book written by L Tarassov about the Young slits experiment
there is a source of photons in the middle behind the slits. when the electron passes thru one slit the photon is detected by a camera near this slit or another near the other slit.
there is a probablité thar the photon emitted by the source interact with the electron and hit the camera near it but it can also hit it and goback in the other direction.
I am looking for the formulas giving these probabilities (they depend on the frequency of the photon).
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand the question. It sounds like compton scattering, but that doesn't give you probabilities and it doesn't only give you forward and backward as a result.

bobob said:
I'm not sure I understand the question. It sounds like compton scattering, but that doesn't give you probabilities and it doesn't only give you forward and backward as a result.
As we have dim =1 after scattering the photon can go to the left or to the right (two probabilities).

I explain the reason of my question. I am reading a book in which the author
is talking about which path information.
We have two slits (or two holes) situated a +1 and -1 on the x axis. An electron can pass thru these holes. At x = 0 we have source of photons that will interact with the electron passing in 1 or -1 (compton effect). these photon will be detected at -2 or +2 later.
the author consider the amplitude phi1 and phi2 associated to its measurement at -2 or 2.
it is why i am looking for the value of phi1 and phi2 depending on its energy.

Related to Backscattering of photons in dim = 1

1. What is backscattering of photons in dim = 1?

Backscattering of photons in dim = 1 refers to the process in which photons, or particles of light, are scattered backwards when they encounter an obstacle or medium in a one-dimensional space. This phenomenon is commonly observed in optical and quantum systems.

2. How does backscattering of photons occur in dim = 1?

In dim = 1, backscattering of photons occurs due to the interaction between the photons and the medium or obstacle. This interaction causes the photons to change direction and scatter backwards, rather than continuing in their original path.

3. What are the applications of backscattering of photons in dim = 1?

Backscattering of photons in dim = 1 has various applications in fields such as optics, quantum computing, and materials science. It is used to study the properties of materials, as well as to manipulate and control the behavior of photons in quantum systems.

4. How is backscattering of photons in dim = 1 different from other types of scattering?

Backscattering of photons in dim = 1 is different from other types of scattering, such as forward scattering, because it occurs in a one-dimensional space. This means that the photons are confined to a single dimension and can only scatter backwards, rather than in multiple directions.

5. What are the challenges in studying backscattering of photons in dim = 1?

One of the main challenges in studying backscattering of photons in dim = 1 is the complexity of the systems in which it occurs. These systems often involve interactions between multiple particles and can be difficult to model and analyze. Additionally, the effects of quantum mechanics must be taken into account, adding another layer of complexity to the study of backscattering in dim = 1.