Back of the envelope calculations help.

In summary, the conversation discusses techniques for developing and training to do quick back of the envelope calculations. The speaker suggests forcing oneself to write down each step and always doing reasonability checks. They also mention the advantage of growing up in the days of slide rule and emphasize the importance of developing good habits. This includes writing numbers in scientific notation and doing the calculations on paper. The conversation ends with a quote from Henry Thoreau about the value of not being rushed.
nascentmind
Hi,

How do I develop and train to do quick back of the envelope calculations? How have you developed these techniques? I am not quick in it and make silly mistakes.

Engineering news on Phys.org
force yourself to rigorously write down each step, as you did in junior high school math.

perhaps i have advantage - grew up in days of slide rule where first thiing you had to reduce a problem to something manageable. And you had to keep track of decimal point yourself.
An early complaint when calculators came around was ''The kids don't think anymore. If they divide twelve by sixty and get twenty for an answer, they don't question it."

So it's a question of developing good habits.
Always do reasonability checks.

Haste makes waste.

jim hardy said:
perhaps i have advantage - grew up in days of slide rule where first thiing you had to reduce a problem to something manageable. And you had to keep track of decimal point yourself.

That's the exact problem I have i.e. keeping track of decimal points and also the 0's.

""That's the exact problem I have i.e. keeping track of decimal points and also the 0's.""

we are rushed today in everything we do. i think it's the computers...

form the habit of writing all your numbers in scientific notation,
so when you multiply or divide you're dealing with numbers arout 0.1 to 10 .

then collect the exponents.

always do them on paper (that's what the envelope is for)
and NEATLY paying attention to alignment.. (Do they teach mechanical drafting in jr high anymore?)

And do them twice for cross-check. That avoids a lot of embarassment.

Henry Thoreau said: "The most valuable thing a man can possess
is a determination not to be hurried."

old jim

I can understand the importance of being able to do quick back of the envelope calculations. These calculations can help us estimate and approximate results in a timely manner, especially when we don't have access to advanced tools or data. To develop and train in this skill, there are a few tips I can offer.

Firstly, practice makes perfect. The more you practice doing these calculations, the better you will become at it. Start with simple calculations and gradually move on to more complex ones. This will help you build your confidence and accuracy in performing these calculations.

Secondly, make sure you have a solid understanding of the concepts and equations involved in the calculation. This will help you identify which equations to use and how to manipulate them to get the desired result. It also helps to have a good grasp of basic math operations like multiplication, division, and estimation.

Another helpful technique is to break the calculation down into smaller, simpler steps. This can help prevent silly mistakes and make the overall process more manageable. Additionally, double-checking your work and using estimation techniques can also help catch any errors that may have been made.

As for how I have developed these techniques, it has been through years of practice and experience in my field. I have also found it helpful to work with colleagues and discuss different approaches and methods for doing back of the envelope calculations. Collaborating and learning from others can be a valuable tool in honing this skill.

In conclusion, developing and training to do quick back of the envelope calculations takes practice, solid understanding of concepts and equations, breaking down the calculation, and double-checking your work. With time and dedication, you can improve your speed and accuracy in performing these calculations.

Related to Back of the envelope calculations help.

1. What are back of the envelope calculations?

Back of the envelope calculations are quick and rough estimates that are done using only simple math and basic assumptions. They are often used to get a general idea of a problem or concept before more precise calculations are done.

2. Why are back of the envelope calculations helpful?

Back of the envelope calculations can provide a quick and easy way to estimate the feasibility of an idea or solution. They can also help identify potential problems or areas for further investigation.

3. How accurate are back of the envelope calculations?

Back of the envelope calculations are not meant to be highly accurate, but rather to provide a rough estimate. The accuracy of these calculations depends on the assumptions and data used, so it is important to carefully consider these factors.

4. When should back of the envelope calculations be used?

Back of the envelope calculations can be used in a variety of situations, such as brainstorming ideas, evaluating potential solutions, or making rough estimates for budgets or timelines. They are a useful tool for quickly assessing the viability of a concept.

5. What are some tips for making effective back of the envelope calculations?

To make effective back of the envelope calculations, it is important to clearly define the problem or question, make reasonable assumptions, and use simple and easy-to-understand calculations. It is also helpful to double check your work and consider potential sources of error.