Back emf in motors and capacitors

In summary, the conversation discusses various concepts related to electrical motors, generators, and circuits. The back emf, a constant quantity that characterizes each motor, is defined as E'=Ir+E, and the formula for mechanical power is P(mechanical)=E'*I. The discussion also touches on the transfer of energy in a pure inductor connected to an AC generator and the relationship between voltage, current, and power in a sinusoidal circuit. Additionally, the conversation covers the sinusoidal form of the back emf in motors, the increase in electrical energy conversion and current intensity when a motor is loaded, and the effects of inrush current and capacitor storage of energy.
brainyman89
1-this is what is written in my book:
E= Ir+E' where E' is the back emf, r and E' are constants
P(mechanical)=E'*I
an electrical motor functions only if the generator connected across its terminals delivers a positive potential difference that exceeds its back emf.
So my question is, why are they regarding the back emf as constant quantity that characterizes each motor though the current across the motor is not always constant?

2-"in case we connected a pure inductor(coil) to AC generator, during a part of the cycle, energy is actually transferred from the inductor (load) back into the voltage source. we get a net power dissipation of zero."
how could energy be transferred to a generator??
in this case, a current is traversing the circuit without dissipating energy, will the current traversing the coil in this situation has a very large intensity as the case of a short circuit?

3-is there any proof why the average power equals cosine the phase angle (Φ) between voltage and current(case of sinusoidal voltage)?

4-does the back emf in motors have sinusoidal form?

5-P(mechanical)=E'*I where E' is the back emf
is this formula of mechanical power converted by the motor right??

6-does the electrical energy converted to mechanical energy by the motor increase when the motor is loaded? will the intensity of the traversing current increase?

7-in case a motor is loaded, will the mechanical power converted by the motor be smaller although the intensity of current has increased??
since P(mechanical)=E'*I where E' is the back emf, E' decreases when the motor is loaded?

8-what causes Inrush current drawn by an electrical device when first turned on in case we are supplying the device AC current?

9-why does the capacitor gets the same voltage of the generator after it is disconnected?

10-i have understood how a capacitor stores charge, but my question is how does capacitor stores energy? is storing charge the same as storing energy?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Back emf in motors and capacitors

1. What is back emf and why is it important in motors and capacitors?

Back emf, or back electromotive force, is the voltage generated in an electrical circuit that opposes the flow of current. In motors and capacitors, back emf plays a crucial role in regulating the speed and efficiency of the device.

2. How is back emf generated in motors and capacitors?

In motors, back emf is generated when the rotation of the motor's armature cuts through the magnetic field, creating an opposing voltage. In capacitors, back emf is generated when the capacitor is discharged, causing a reverse flow of current.

3. How does back emf affect the performance of a motor or capacitor?

Back emf can reduce the amount of current flowing through the device, which can affect the speed and torque in motors and the capacitance in capacitors. It can also cause voltage spikes and impact the overall efficiency of the device.

4. How do engineers and scientists deal with back emf in motor and capacitor designs?

Engineers and scientists use various techniques, such as adding diodes or capacitors, to manage back emf in motors and capacitors. These components help to redirect or absorb the back emf and prevent any negative effects on the device's performance.

5. Can back emf be eliminated completely in motors and capacitors?

No, back emf cannot be eliminated entirely. It is a natural occurrence in electrical circuits and plays a vital role in regulating the operation of motors and capacitors. However, it can be controlled and minimized through proper design and the use of additional components.