Solve Blood Flow Problem: Density of Plasma & Pressure | h=21 cm

In summary, the question is asking for the minimum height (h) above a vein where a container of blood plasma should be placed in order for the plasma to enter the vein with a blood pressure of 16 torr. The answer given is 21 cm. This can be solved using the hydrostatic pressure equation (\rho g h) and the assumption that the pressure at the end of the tube should be equal to 16 torr for successful plasma flow.
acgold
Maybe I'm missing something here but wouldn't I need the area to solve the following problem?

1. Blood plasma has a density of 1026 kg/m^3. What is the minimum height above a vein -- in which the blood pressure is 16 torr -- that a container of blood plasma should be placed in order for the plasma to enter the vein?
The answer given is h=21 cm.

Don't I need more information to solve this? eh, my brain is fried. Help :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just another hydrostatic pressure / water column problem. I think the assumption they're making is that you want to place the blood bag high enough (h) so that the pressure of the plasma in the IV tube ([tex]\rho g h[/tex]) equals 16 torr when the tube enters the vein (at the "bottom" of the tube). If the pressure at the end of the tube is lower than 16 torr, blood is going to come out of the vein. If the pressure is greater than or equal to 16 torr, the plasma in the tube should be able to flow into the vein.

Last edited:

Yes, you are correct. To solve this problem, we would need more information, specifically the area of the vein where the plasma will enter. Without the area, we cannot calculate the volume of plasma that will enter the vein, and therefore cannot determine the minimum height above the vein. It is possible that the problem is missing some information or there may be a typo. I would suggest double checking the problem or asking for clarification from the source.

1. What is the density of plasma in the human body?

The density of plasma in the human body is approximately 1.025 g/mL. This can vary slightly depending on factors such as hydration levels and health conditions.

2. How does the density of plasma affect blood flow?

The density of plasma plays a crucial role in blood flow as it helps determine the viscosity, or thickness, of blood. Higher plasma density can lead to increased viscosity and slower blood flow, while lower density can result in lower viscosity and faster blood flow.

3. What is the relationship between pressure and blood flow?

Pressure and blood flow have an inverse relationship, meaning that as pressure increases, blood flow decreases. This is due to the fact that as blood vessels constrict under increased pressure, the space for blood to flow through becomes smaller, resulting in slower blood flow.

4. How does the height of a liquid column affect blood flow?

The height of a liquid column, represented by the variable 'h', plays a significant role in blood flow. This is because the pressure exerted by a liquid is directly proportional to its height. In this problem, the height of the liquid column represents the pressure gradient that drives blood flow.

5. How can the density of plasma and pressure be used to solve blood flow problems?

By understanding the relationship between density, pressure, and blood flow, scientists and medical professionals can use this information to analyze and solve blood flow problems. This can help identify potential issues with blood flow and develop effective treatments to improve overall health and well-being.