B.S. in Computer Engineering, M.S./PhD in Technical/Engineering Physics?

In summary, the speaker is considering changing their major from Physics to Computer Engineering and is interested in pursuing Technical Physics as a combination of the two fields. However, their current school does not offer this major and they are unsure if they can pursue higher education in Technical Physics with a B.S. in Computer Engineering. Expert summarizer suggests that it may be difficult to pursue higher education in Technical Physics with a Computer Engineering degree, and it may be easier to pursue graduate studies in computer or electrical engineering instead.
Theoneandonly99
Hello all. Currently, I'm working towards changing my major towards Computer Engineering from Physics. I love Physics, but I can't see myself pursuing it as a lifetime career for some reason.

When I told my high school teacher about this, he suggested that I look into technical physics (otherwise known as engineering physics), and see if that piques my interest. The description, a combination of engineering and physics, does indeed interest me. However, this particular major is not offered at my school (as far as I'm aware), and I'm still pursuing a B.S. in Computer Engineering as of now.

My question is this: if I get a B.S. in CE, would I be able to pursue higher level education in the field of Technical Physics? Maybe for certain fields/specialization such as computation physics/systems?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you get a BS in Computer Engineering you will have a hard time pursuing higher education in Technical Physics. They are quite different in material and technique. If you want to be a computer engineer or go to graduate school in computer or electrical engineering that will be much easier.

Related to B.S. in Computer Engineering, M.S./PhD in Technical/Engineering Physics?

1. What is the difference between a B.S. in Computer Engineering and a M.S./PhD in Technical/Engineering Physics?

A B.S. in Computer Engineering is an undergraduate degree that focuses on the design and development of computer systems, software, and hardware. On the other hand, a M.S./PhD in Technical/Engineering Physics is a graduate degree that delves deeper into the physics principles behind computer engineering and allows students to specialize in a specific area such as nanotechnology or quantum computing.

2. What career opportunities are available for someone with a B.S. in Computer Engineering and a M.S./PhD in Technical/Engineering Physics?

Graduates with a B.S. in Computer Engineering can pursue careers as computer hardware engineers, software developers, systems analysts, and more. Those with a M.S./PhD in Technical/Engineering Physics can work in research and development, academia, or even in the semiconductor industry as device engineers.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in both computer engineering and physics to pursue this degree?

No, it is not necessary to have a background in both fields. However, having a strong foundation in both disciplines can be beneficial in understanding the complex concepts and principles involved in this degree.

4. What skills are required to succeed in a B.S. in Computer Engineering and a M.S./PhD in Technical/Engineering Physics?

Some important skills for success in these programs include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and proficiency in computer programming languages. Additionally, good communication and teamwork skills are essential for working on projects and research in these fields.

5. Can I pursue a B.S. in Computer Engineering and a M.S./PhD in Technical/Engineering Physics at the same time?

Some universities offer joint programs where students can earn a B.S. in Computer Engineering and a M.S./PhD in Technical/Engineering Physics simultaneously. However, these programs are often rigorous and require a high level of dedication and time management. It is important to carefully consider if this is the right path for you before enrolling in such a program.