B in Diff Eq Honors or A in Non-Honors?

In summary, the person is considering whether to take Diff Eq honors, which is more challenging and may result in a lower grade, or regular Diff Eq, where they are confident they will get an A. They are concerned about their performance on timed tests and their overall math GPA for admission into a PhD program. The person is advised to take the regular course and explore the material on their own if their goal is a math PhD. They are also concerned about retaking Diff Eq, as they previously received a B in a shortened summer session.
nickadams
Should I take Diff Eq honors which goes deeper and broader into the material and obviously has harder test problems and risk getting a B or C or take regular where I will probably get an A?

What sucks is given enough time I can eventually figure out the hard honors problems but since tests have time constraints, I usually run out of time. My problem is I work too slow, not that I don't know the material.

Advice?Edit: My goal is a math PhD program, and I hear math GPA is the most important thing for admission so...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know you you will get an A, take that course and go deeper and broader on your own. If your goal is to get a math phd, you shouldn't need any motivation other than curiosity.

Of course one could argue you certainly don't know you will get an A.

Any more advice? I need to decide ASAP!

Another reason why I'm wary about taking honors is because I've already taken Diff Eq once (long ago in a 5-week summer session where I didn't learn anything) and made a B, so if I take it again and make a B or a C, I feel like it will look horrible even if it is in honors.

:(

Related to B in Diff Eq Honors or A in Non-Honors?

1. What is the difference between B in Diff Eq Honors and A in Non-Honors?

Diff Eq Honors is a more advanced and rigorous course compared to Non-Honors. It covers more complex topics and requires a deeper understanding of the subject matter. A B grade in Diff Eq Honors indicates a strong understanding of the material, while an A grade in Non-Honors may not necessarily reflect the same level of mastery.

2. Is it better to get a B in Diff Eq Honors or an A in Non-Honors?

This ultimately depends on your goals and aspirations. If you are planning to pursue a career in a field that heavily relies on differential equations, such as engineering or physics, a B in Diff Eq Honors may be more beneficial. However, if you are not planning to specialize in this subject, an A in Non-Honors may be sufficient.

3. Will a B in Diff Eq Honors affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

It is important to maintain a strong overall GPA, so a B in Diff Eq Honors may slightly lower your GPA. However, graduate schools also consider the rigor of your coursework and a B in a more challenging course may be viewed more favorably than an A in an easier course.

4. Can I take Non-Honors and then take Diff Eq Honors later on?

It depends on your school's policies and the prerequisite requirements for Diff Eq Honors. Some schools may allow you to take Diff Eq Honors after completing Non-Honors, while others may require you to have a certain grade in Non-Honors or take a placement test.

5. How can I prepare for Diff Eq Honors if I only have experience with Non-Honors courses?

Make sure you have a strong understanding of the material covered in Non-Honors. You can also review the syllabus and topics covered in Diff Eq Honors to get a head start. Additionally, you can seek help from your professor or a tutor to better prepare for the more challenging course.